Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1

    Default UV-26 or Viper...

    I have been going back and fourth over my scooter choice. Heavy, reliable, work horse lead acid battery UV-26 (Close to 100 lbs) or lighter, faster LiPo Viper?

    I have read the specs until I am blue in the face. Viper out perfoms the UV-26, but only slightly. I dive open circuit and I am sure I will never be down long enough to kill the battery on either of them.

    I like the affordability of the UV-26 coupled with the fact the motor will run until the batteries are fully discharged -vs- a controlled shutdown of the LiPo.

    I don't think I would ever run full bore all the time based on the systems I will be using it in here in FL so I am not concerned with top speed to much.

    If anyone have real world experience with either one or both, please post your thoughts.

    And don't tell me to get a Magnus TJ...


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    If you could leave it in the water, then there would be no question, only problem with the UV-26 is getting it to and from the water.
    Personally I couldn't get over the weight, I couldn't have a 100 lb scooter, I ain't man enough.
    I'm also 90% sure that if you have to have the three speed option, it could be put on a UV-26 too.

    On edit, you want way more LIPO battery than you would ever use because they will last much longer if they aren't deeply discharged, using only half the power from a LIPO before re-charging it, greatly extends it useful life cycle wise.
    I think the real question is how often will we have to replace these LIPO packs? I'm hoping not before three years?


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    If it is any help, I sold my UV-26, and upgraded my N-19 to a Viper.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  4. #4

    Default

    At $1750 a pop for a battery, I'd hope the battery cycle life is LONG on the Viper, Magnus and Minnus 1.5. My worry is that real world duty cycles on a battery often don't match up well with the duty cycles needed for maximum battery life.

    There are also some battery maintenance oddities such as not charging it if it still has a certain voltage and not fully charging it unless you are going to use it soon. In essence, i took that to mean if you are managing for maximum battery life you may not always have full battery capacity at the start of a new dive day, so the extra battery is a good thing, but not everything it appears to be on the surface.

    In that regard I remain a pretty solid fan of the low cost and reliability of lead acid batteries and I like the fact that I can afford spares to swap them out between dives if needed.

    That said I lust in about equal measure over the Minnus 1.5 and the Viper with a nod to the Minnus 1.5.

    NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    I cannot speak to the Viper, but in my opinion, find a used UV 26 with a 18 conversion. While batteries are improving, after the N-19 problems I have had and am still having, I would not buy anything that has a battery that has not been on the market and been used for at least five years.

    edit - to be clear, get a scooter with both bodies and batteries. The UV-18 for most diving, and the UV-26 for longer dives. I have 26 batteries that are 6 years old and still running 100 minutes.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dothan, AL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    I cannot speak to the Viper, but in my opinion, find a used UV 26 with a 18 conversion. While batteries are improving, after the N-19 problems I have had and am still having, I would not buy anything that has a battery that has not been on the market and been used for at least five years.

    edit - to be clear, get a scooter with both bodies and batteries. The UV-18 for most diving, and the UV-26 for longer dives. I have 26 batteries that are 6 years old and still running 100 minutes.
    +1. My N19 is long gone in favor of a UV26/18. SLA batteries are inexpensive and proven. For the weight, use a hand truck.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

    Bil Lindstrom
    UCLA

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    southeast florida
    Posts
    289

    Default

    i own a viper (an upgraded N-19) and also used a -26 for years. i recently sold my -26 (kept my -18, though). i also got tired of dragging the -26 beast in and out of the water.

    that being said, the -26 is a joy to ride once you get used to it, with far less torque issues than the Viper. it is not as manuverable, however. also, there are electronics between the battery and the motor on the Viper, but just a relay on the -26, making it simpler and probably more reliable than the Viper. (time will tell on the Viper. so far so good)

    overall though, i decided to stick with the Viper for most of my cave diving and all of the ocean stuff. i did add DSix36's aluminum handle to the Viper, which i find make it easier to deal with the torque on the longer dives by giving me the ability to use my left hand or sometimes both hands. a worthwhile addition for $40.

    so, it's the Viper over the -26 for me. However, when i scooter EOL at The Nest, i take the -18. it has enough burn time for that system and has the advantage of my perceived reliability over the Viper. as always, as in most things, it's a tradeoff.


  8. #8

    Default

    So far, I have heard what I thought I would here. All great feedback and I would get the three speed electronics if I decided to go with the -26, however, I have been leaning towards the Viper for a while now. It is like should I order the 18oz filet or the 24oz porter house...


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    863

    Default

    There might be a Lithium ferrite conversion coming out for the for the UV's. With a UV-18 with the LiFe conversion getting the burn time of a viper, and its going to be offered by Silent Submerg.


  10. #10

    Default

    Simple is the way to go for most people. Especially if your usage is infrequent. Lead-Acid last way longer without frequent usage. My two cents....



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts