Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Dove today and vis was real good, almost no flow at all. There was an open water class of like 12 going on in Catfish. Mesquites weren't too bad, but the duckweed was crazy.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    968

    Default

    I just went today. Vis was excellent. The best I've seen in my 4 times diving it. There really is no flow at all. I remember the first time I dove it I was struggling with the flow, now it's easily swimmable. It's a shame though because no flow is not a good sign. The main spring is closed to diving and swimming. It looks black and nasty. Catfish is clear and the mosquitos are maneaters!


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    looks like I know where my weekend is headed


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Trenton, Fl.
    Posts
    145

    Default

    A few questions for those who dove Manatee during the height of the flood. Since I was so wrong on my prediction of it backflowing, I'm curious. Did it ever backflow at all? Even as far as Catfish? Is the spring basin dark now or is there a pool of clear water emerging into the tannic?


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    968

    Default

    We swam back into the cave of the main spring and the water was fairly clear. Usually flow is kicking in there and trying to push you out. None of that was present. The exit and the pool above the cave was very black and no sunlight that I could see was penetrating through. The swim back was very easy with negligible current to fight. I believe Rick said that he hadn't thought it reversed


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Trenton, Fl.
    Posts
    145

    Default

    It's a shame though because no flow is not a good sign
    Any clear water at all is still remarkable, considering that in the few weeks before Debbie came through, Hart Springs reversed a couple of times simply from tidal influences- and it's 35 miles upriver from the Gulf! There was simply no water in the ground to come out. Apparently, the 12 inches or so of water we got here is creating enough pressure to counteract the elevated height of the river water. A good sign.


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N Florida
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Dove Manatee today 7/11. First dive entered Friedman early in the morning and Mosquitos were waiting for us. Top of Friedman was kinda nasty but cleared soon after dropping down. Great vis Friedman and upstream. Second dive entered Catfish and easily swam to Friedman with little flow and good vis . Terrific dives - Grand Cave!


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    I think Manatee might be pretty popular in the next few weeks.


  9. #19
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lake City FL
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    I think your right. I think a nice long scooter dive would be really nice.


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Long scootering there is usually planned upon high outflow, basically speed is 1:1 (scootering in-sailing out with current) in this condition I would be more conservative. I would speculate the water source plain has much higher elevation there than other caves.

    ARY (Photo, video)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Flood photos
    By cavewoman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
  2. Peacock and LR flood levels?
    By GeorgiaDoc in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
  3. Rebreather Flood
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 11:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts