Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In a Virgin Cave in Dominican Republic :D
    Posts
    499

    Default Measuring a spring magnitude

    Ok, any tips and tricks in how to measure easy and accurate the water flow?

    we have what are apparently, 2 first magnitude springs, and would like to measure but is not that easy...

    the second one at one point the flow splits in 2, apparently, going to a second hole (not explored yet, need a bit more mental preparation -read balls- to go in that kind of strong downstream) the question here, should we measure at this point where it splits? or do it at the sinkhole? well maybe at both?...

    ok, any advise?

    Cristian Pittaro
    www.neptunoworld.com
    and don't forget to check out my MiniSpools
    http://www.dr-ss.com Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://la-hispaniola.com Free maps for Dominican Republic and Haiti for Garmin GPS's

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    I've seen flow measured here in Florida and worked with people who get that data. They always use expensive equipment to do it. I don't know if there's any other way to do it. There's not much to the equipment from what I've seen, but I do know it's not cheap. If you can get your hands on the equipment, I would measure at both locations.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In a Virgin Cave in Dominican Republic :D
    Posts
    499

    Default

    I guess there should be a more or less easy way, we don't need anything that accurate, just to have an idea, like measuring the surface of the hole and water speed for example, but I know it is not that simple, but maybe there is some advice to help

    Cristian Pittaro
    www.neptunoworld.com
    and don't forget to check out my MiniSpools
    http://www.dr-ss.com Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://la-hispaniola.com Free maps for Dominican Republic and Haiti for Garmin GPS's

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    If it doesn't need to be accurate, whats the point?


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In a Virgin Cave in Dominican Republic :D
    Posts
    499

    Default

    how about this?
    Calculate Your Spring Flow

    Flow (discharge) is the volume of water moving from the spring per unit of time. You need this measurement to estimate water storage and supply, changes in water availability, and water-use rates. You can get estimates of flow by measuring all of the water diverted through an opening in a dam or multiplying the stream's cross-sectional area by the current speed. On small springs, you can dam or divert the flow through a small opening and measure the time required to fill a container of known volume.

    For large springs, use a tape measure to determine the average stream width and depth, and multiply this cross-sectional area by the current speed. To estimate the current speed, toss a floating object - an orange is recommended - into the spring and clock the time it takes to travel a known distance. If your spring averages 2 feet wide x 1 foot deep (an area of 2 square feet) and the current speed is 3 feet per second (the orange travels 30 feet downstream in 10 seconds), then a rough estimate of your spring flow is 6 cubic feet per second (area in square feet times speed in feet per second equals cubic feet per second) or 2,700 gallons per minute (1 cubic foot per second [cfs] = 450 gpm).
    source http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-537/420-537.html

    thoughts? tips?

    Cristian Pittaro
    www.neptunoworld.com
    and don't forget to check out my MiniSpools
    http://www.dr-ss.com Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://la-hispaniola.com Free maps for Dominican Republic and Haiti for Garmin GPS's

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In a Virgin Cave in Dominican Republic :D
    Posts
    499

    Default

    a good estimate is better than nothing, unless you can find us those very expensive instruments for free

    Cristian Pittaro
    www.neptunoworld.com
    and don't forget to check out my MiniSpools
    http://www.dr-ss.com Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://la-hispaniola.com Free maps for Dominican Republic and Haiti for Garmin GPS's

  7. #7

    Default

    oranges dont float...... have a funny story about trying to using oranges instead of styrofoam cups when wreck diving..... but bottom line is use something other than an orange.

    9/11....... I remember .........

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neptuno View Post
    Ok, any tips and tricks in how to measure easy and accurate the water flow?

    we have what are apparently, 2 first magnitude springs, and would like to measure but is not that easy...

    the second one at one point the flow splits in 2, apparently, going to a second hole (not explored yet, need a bit more mental preparation -read balls- to go in that kind of strong downstream) the question here, should we measure at this point where it splits? or do it at the sinkhole? well maybe at both?...

    ok, any advise?
    I was laying the line and I came across this big black tunnel and as I was about to make a tie off before swimming into it and I saw a big tree leaf get sucked into this major siphon, we are talking about flow you have to pull yourself against. Need to digest that one a bit before mounting next week end's exploration ..lol
    I am not used to this kind of flow so the siphon kind of scarred me, the thought of fighting your way out of the cave is something I need to get used to I guess, cause we are going back for sure.

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://dr-ss.com
    Aquavista Films LLC.
    http://www.aquavistafilms.com

  9. #9
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillip1 View Post
    I was laying the line and I came across this big black tunnel and as I was about to make a tie off before swimming into it and I saw a big tree leaf get sucked into this major siphon, we are talking about flow you have to pull yourself against. Need to digest that one a bit before mounting next week end's exploration ..lol
    I am not used to this kind of flow so the siphon kind of scarred me, the thought of fighting your way out of the cave is something I need to get used to I guess, cause we are going back for sure.

    Install 100ft of good knotted rope. You may need it to exit.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Go in with rope and I would even recommend tying loops you can fit your hands into about every meter as well as wearing gloves. Maybe the flow isn't that bad per Florida standards, but the way you're making it sound I would be very concerned about diving into that siphon. And I'm used to flow.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley


 

Similar Threads

  1. Scubapro jet fins XL Spring with spring straps
    By huxley in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 07:58 PM
  2. Info. on Magnitude
    By metaldector in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts