Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Richmond, TX
    Age
    64
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Broke my back 2 years ago. DO THE THERAPY! I still do the stretching and exercises they gave me. I had lots of back pain even before the injury, but I havent had pain since I healed. Ask your Dr. about Arrosti Therapy. http://airrosti.com/

    The guy that worked with me not only speeded my back recovery, but ended the pain in my feet I thought were bone spurs, and numbness I had in my right leg.

    Steve Harbin
    Richmond, TX

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Another thing,is sidemount really isn't the savior that people want to think it is when it comes to back problems. Carrying a tank,and then bending over to lower the tank to the ground/water probably exerts more stress at the intradisc space than we think.
    Absolutely. But you bend with your knees, not your back. I keep my spine perfectly upright when lifting/carrying sidemount cylinders. And with a bit of pre-planning, I rarely have to lift/lower them to the ground. Back of the car to picnic table, then carry into the water and tie off to jon lines on the steps while standing in waist deep water.. Reverse on exit.

    Last edited by FW; 05-18-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  3. #13

    Default

    IMO if the surgery is unavoidable just do it and get it over with as fast as possible.

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://dr-ss.com
    Aquavista Films LLC.
    http://www.aquavistafilms.com

  4. #14

    Default

    I had c5--c6 discectony with fusion. I had no choice as the paralysis would becone permanent. I have been a textbook model and am thrilled that I did it. Do all the pre and post surgery things they give you as it will help your recovery. I have bad no issues with gettinf bent and have been to 484' since surgery. I was fuuly released tk do deep dives three months after survery. Don'tsweat the survery and follow the doctors orders. In my case, i think the fact that i am very active helped. I refused to just skt around to recover. I actully went for walks and such.

    Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2

    No naked pictures, just dive stuff. Click Here

  5. #15

    Default

    I would get a second opinion on the fusion. At age 21 I had laminectomy and discectomy done on L4 and L5 due to a motocross wreck (now 28). Before the surgery i went through 12 months of PT, which helped the pain but did not help the sciatic nerve and the loss of feeling in my legs. So surgery was a must. The recovery time was about 6 months before I was back to my usual activities minus the dirtbike. All said and done I am about 85% of what I used to be before the injury. I still do trimix dives, deep air dives, and cave dives without much thought of added risk of DCS. Does my back hurt after lugging 3-5 tanks around? Sure it does, but whose doesnt? Let us know how everything goes!

    Just 2 cents from the young guy.

    It dosen't cost anymore to go first class....you just cant say as long

  6. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    Absolutely. But you bend with your knees, not your back. I keep my spine perfectly upright when lifting/carrying sidemount cylinders. And with a bit of pre-planning, I rarely have to lift/lower them to the ground.
    Yep,that is what you want to do. Diving at P1 with the water levels so low,you have to flex beyond your base of support,so a tremendous amount of intradiscal pressure is present to get tanks into the water. In theory bend with your hip and knees,with back straight is great,but looking at so many sites we dive,90% of the places won't allow ability to follow true body mechanics that will off load the back. Professionally I deal with these things on a daily basis,and I have watched many people take their sidemount tanks to the water. Getting tanks out of the vehicle,and carrying a certain distance doesn't cause too much stress,but once the tanks are lowered to the water/ground level,especially on incongruous terrain,body mechanics are no more,and the back is absorbing the load. There are many sidemount falacies-one of which is that it significantly reduces stress to the back. If people are having success,then that is great,I just want to warn others that think it is a panacea.

    Last edited by Sludge; 05-18-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: fix quote
    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    "Diving at P1 with the water levels so low,you have to flex beyond your base of support,so a tremendous amount of intradiscal pressure is present to get tanks into the water."

    1- Attach jon line to side of main steps.

    2- Carry tank down steps by valve assembly while keeping back upright.

    3- Place tank heel on bottom step, kneel while holding tank upright. (balnce only, not supporting tank weight)

    4. Connect jon line to upper bolt snap, check reg in "pre-dive" (no free flow)

    5- Safety check for unsuspecting CCR divers

    6- Bombs away!

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  8. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    "Diving at P1 with the water levels so low,you have to flex beyond your base of support,so a tremendous amount of intradiscal pressure is present to get tanks into the water."

    1- Attach jon line to side of main steps.

    2- Carry tank down steps by valve assembly while keeping back upright.

    3- Place tank heel on bottom step, kneel while holding tank upright. (balnce only, not supporting tank weight)

    4. Connect jon line to upper bolt snap, check reg in "pre-dive" (no free flow)

    5- Safety check for unsuspecting CCR divers

    6- Bombs away!
    Sounds a good youtube video.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Friendswood, Tx
    Posts
    90

    Default

    I had a C4-C5 fusion in 1996.b after 9 weeks in a neck brace, I had a solid recovery and was back diving about 6 months after surgery.

    Since then, I took up cavediving and trimix (and volunteer fire fighting). I have had very limited issues.

    Some of the things I try to do:

    Almost always on Nitrox
    Lots of water during dive days
    Generous deco windows
    Move slow and deliberate while setting up - no rush
    Don't push tables/computer and up conservatism
    Cautious entrees (feet/butt first)

    Guess just try to be more cognizant of good diving though drinks lots of water.


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Cam, I don't have any useful advise to help you rehab quicker other than to say to lean on your diving family for strength and support, I know you already have that at home but we're here for you too. When you're ready to start testing the waters (pun intended) we'll all "sherpa" your gear down to the water and you know you can count on Lisa to mother over you and help you get ready. And in the mean time although I haven't been through what you're getting ready to endure I'm here for ya if you just want to talk or if I can break away for the trip down to your place or whatever.... just take it slow brother!!



 

Similar Threads

  1. Diving After Hip Replacement Surgery
    By CaptainSpeleo in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 07:49 AM
  2. A Question About Diving After Eye Surgery
    By CaptainSpeleo in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 07:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts