Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: Members

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Something comparable to what non cave divers get. If you're getting a group policy through work or multiples of your income through work, this goes away when you quit, get fired or retire. I want to ALWAYS be able to protect my family. Not just when I'm employed.

    Anyone from NSS-CDS or NACD want to chime in. Is this free service which could drive up membership something you'd consider?


  2. #42
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    I'd be up for increasing my coverage if there was a decent rate.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    672

    Default

    I would be up for this depending on rates and amounts.


  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    651

    Default

    I have an individual term life policy through NY Life and yes its with additional ratings for being a cave diver and deco diving in the ocean. (They know, I didn't lie) Try them if you are havving difficulties finding someone to underwrite you.

    Good on you to pursue a group rate, but I'm suspicious about a group rate for a cave diving organization. There are few low risk individuals in this kind of pool.


  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Term? Ewe!!! According to Metlife, less than 2% of Term insurance ever pays. The only way Term insurance pays is if you get lucky and die early. Some would say that's not too lucky. Insurance companies know that you're not going to die early 98 out of 100 times, that's why Term insurance is cheap.

    I'll write the little check for Whole Life, and I'll let the insurance company write the big check when I finally die.

    At any rate, my pursuit is for GOOD insurance for cave divers. If we wanted crap insurance we could always go to DAN.


  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    I'll write the little check for Whole Life, and I'll let the insurance company write the big check when I finally die.
    LOL right. Little check = tiny whole life payment. About the only benefit for your wife is its tax free.


  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    I won't get into a debate about insurance here. You either care about your family, have character and want it, or you don't. But you can never pay in to whole life more than you get out. I prefer to pay for something that will pay me back. With term, it only pays back 2% of the time. You're almost guaranteed to be throwing money out the window. Some people rent their home, some people buy their home. I guess it depends on what kind of peep you are.

    And that's all I got to say about that. I'll keep you updated if I get this done.


  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    Something comparable to what non cave divers get. If you're getting a group policy through work or multiples of your income through work, this goes away when you quit, get fired or retire. I want to ALWAYS be able to protect my family. Not just when I'm employed.

    Anyone from NSS-CDS or NACD want to chime in. Is this free service which could drive up membership something you'd consider?
    I currently have a policy through a nursing organization. No questions asked about my extracurricular activities. It's currently term, but I plan on converting when the initial two years is up and I'm allowed to. It's less than $5 per $1000 right now. It will go up to about $8 per $1000 but I should be converted before that happens and it will actually be more, but it will be whole not term. If you can get something going for a competitive rate (competitive for non-cave divers) I would be in.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Those rates for term are about right... 8 per 1000 at your age now or 8 /1000 at your age in two years?

    It's all just pipe dreams and pie in the sky right now. I'll be in communication with the head of the underwriting department early next week. I have my fingers crossed tightly. I'll do my best to have something great in place for us.


  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    I currently have a policy through a nursing organization.
    Which one?


    Mike



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts