Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55

Thread: Members

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Forrest may remember this- In the late 70's when I first got started in open water diving, a sport diver (recreational, no-deco, air only, open water, open circuit) could not get life insurance. It was considered a "high risk" activity. Today, open water sport diving has a lower fatality rate than bowling!

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Aston, PA
    Posts
    56

    Default

    I read that comment out loud at work, and my co-worker said "I understand that one. There's always a bar at the bowling ally".


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stairman View Post
    I just dont tell them I cave dive. Then Im covered for everything else I guess. It wont matter to me either way .
    Actually, if they don't catch that you are a cave diver in the first two years of the policy, it doesn't matter if you die in the cave at all. They still have to pay.


  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
    Pretty sure the company had his malpractice insurance and was told if they wouldn't cover him for life as well, he would take the malpractice elsewhere and since they didn't want to lose the malpractice as it's so lucrative, they covered him for life as well.
    Yes, sorry I wasn't clearer. They would still sell him a life policy, but if he died in a cave, it would be void.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Super, you're just trying to sell insurance and get rich off the cave divers.


  6. #26
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    Actually, if they don't catch that you are a cave diver in the first two years of the policy, it doesn't matter if you die in the cave at all. They still have to pay.
    That's not the way I understand the law.

    If you lie on the application, they have a legal reason to not pay if they can prove it.

    My wife's family is involved in insurance and has seen several times where the company did not pay out because of that very reason.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    That's not the way I understand the law.

    If you lie on the application, they have a legal reason to not pay if they can prove it.

    My wife's family is involved in insurance and has seen several times where the company did not pay out because of that very reason.
    I doubt there is a check box for being a cave diver. I'm betting he means if you just keep your mouth shut, not actively lie.


  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to get cave divers reasonably insured.
    Best answer: give up cave diving!

    Actually this problem is not limited to cave diving. Dives below 130 FSW will de-insure you. Most policies will cover scuba diving (check the box) but that only triggers a follow-up to clarify.

    One insurer had a bizarre formula whereby you were covered for open water scuba events IF your "average depth" did not exceed 60 fsw. I asked how would you possibly know/prove this. The rep pointed out that there are dive computers that can do this and you should get one.

    I scrolled back through my He and found a EN dive for 271 FFW runtime 88 minutes. The Average Depth was 67 FFW. With a little forethought, I could have thrown in a 12 minute 7 foot stop and get my average down to a 59.8 FFW dive.

    Still won't help for a cave dive, though.

    Last edited by diveongas; 05-19-2012 at 10:50 AM.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diveongas View Post
    Best answer: give up cave diving!

    Actually this problem is not limited to cave diving. Dives below 130 FSW will de-insure you. Most policies will cover scuba diving (check the box) but that only triggers a follow-up to clarify.

    One insurer had a bizarre formula whereby you were covered for open water scuba events IF your "average depth" did not exceed 60 fsw. I asked how would you possibly know/prove this. The rep pointed out that there are dive computers that can do this and you should get one.

    I scrolled back through my He and found a EN dive for 271 FFW runtime 88 minutes. The Average Depth was 67 FFW. With a little forethought, I could have thrown in a 12 minute 7 foot stop and get my average down to a 59.8 FFW dive.

    Still won't help for a cave dive, though.
    This is genius!


  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    That's not the way I understand the law.

    If you lie on the application, they have a legal reason to not pay if they can prove it.

    My wife's family is involved in insurance and has seen several times where the company did not pay out because of that very reason.

    You understand it incorrectly. I promise in FL, if they don't catch it in the first two years, they have to pay the claim. It's called "the contestable period". It's a state law.

    Edit* And just about every insurance application has a few check boxes that says "have you in the past 5 years been a pilot, have you in the last 5 years been a scuba diver, have you in the last five years been a skydiver". If you answer yes to the SCUBA question, then you get another page to fill out, that asks you if you are a cave diver, how deep you go, do you do night dives, do you wreck dive, etc etc etc.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts