Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: Members

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    I'm pretty much un-insurable, after awhile you get used to it and and make other plans.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Forrest they do actually look at the number of dives among other things. My thought is , after talking to people who know, is that if we can show a large enough interest and then show that in that group of interest theres only X amount of mortality, I can get them to take a closer look. Is it 1% of cave diver fatalities? Is it .01? Dont know.

    Edit...really if you could get great insurance at normal rates, who wouldnt be on board for that?


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    I had a student that was a physician. His company told him they wouldn't cover him if he died in a cave. He told them he would find another company. They changed their mind, because medical malpractice brings in so much money, they couldn't afford to lose him

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I had a student that was a physician. His company told him they wouldn't cover him if he died in a cave. He told them he would find another company. They changed their mind, because medical malpractice brings in so much money, they couldn't afford to lose him
    *crosses fingers*

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    Edit...really if you could get great insurance at normal rates, who wouldnt be on board for that?
    Yes, of course I would, but due to my job, I was un-insurable before I started cave diving, and now due to my age and financial position, my insurance needs are lower. I only mean to say that if life insurance isn't an option, you can still help ensure you family's financial future in other ways. One is to send the wife to school, don't rack up much debt, etc.There are other ways.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    I just dont tell them I cave dive. Then Im covered for everything else I guess. It wont matter to me either way .


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    I recently got a $100,000 policy for a very decent premium. Didn't lie, didn't withhold any information. Wasn't asked. There are ways.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I had a student that was a physician. His company told him they wouldn't cover him if he died in a cave. He told them he would find another company. They changed their mind, because medical malpractice brings in so much money, they couldn't afford to lose him
    That doesn't make sense. Was he talking about life/disability insurance or malpractice insurance?

    No patient is going to sue their doctor because he died in a cave. Usually to make any progress in the courts the patient has to suffer injury, not the physician, although you never know these days. I can just see the headline: "Patient sues dead doctor for emotional trauma".

    Andy


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apitkin View Post
    That doesn't make sense. Was he talking about life/disability insurance or malpractice insurance?

    No patient is going to sue their doctor because he died in a cave. Usually to make any progress in the courts the patient has to suffer injury, not the physician, although you never know these days. I can just see the headline: "Patient sues dead doctor for emotional trauma".

    Andy
    Pretty sure the company had his malpractice insurance and was told if they wouldn't cover him for life as well, he would take the malpractice elsewhere and since they didn't want to lose the malpractice as it's so lucrative, they covered him for life as well.


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Albany, Ga
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    I recently got a $100,000 policy for a very decent premium. Didn't lie, didn't withhold any information. Wasn't asked. There are ways.
    Did you read the fine print? Lord know what we are really covered for and what we aren't. I found out after I had stuff stolen that my house insurance din't cover "wheeled land vehicles", which I guess means it covers Bulldozers, or boats as long as they have wheels?
    Kids dirt bikes were stolen.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts