Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Results 81 to 87 of 87
  1. #81
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    I'd LOVE to find just ONE meter intended for technical diving where its ALL laid on the table, where the deviations from the model's designer are documented, and where you can twiddle them back to the designer's intended settings (or to other settings as the designer changes his/her mind - or mathematics!) change.
    How about your brain? Models are models, and none of it is real. Follow a well tested model until you know what you're doing, then do what you know. Dive computers will always be BS, because behind each one is a company that can be sued.
    As soon as you find a brain that can accurately compute multi-level dives (of which most cave dives are) and has a lower error rate than a machine I'd agree that "computers will (always) be BS". While there are claims that the first can be achieved, I don't see the second happening so long as we're human rather than bionic.

    BTW, what's the difference between a computer in your truck (cutting tables) and a computer on your wrist (cutting tables)? Both do the same thing; the salient difference is that one of them has more accurate information to work with than the other.

    I don't mind a model; indeed, all theoretical processes are described by same, and while none are perfect, they don't have to be in order to be useful. What I do object to is something that claims to be a thing it is not, or a claimed model that departs from what the model actually IS, without any documentation as to exactly what was modified! Its not possible to apply one's brain to evaluating the recommendations made by any model if one doesn't know what has been done to it.


  2. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    I don't mind a model; indeed, all theoretical processes are described by same, and while none are perfect, they don't have to be in order to be useful. What I do object to is something that claims to be a thing it is not, or a claimed model that departs from what the model actually IS, without any documentation as to exactly what was modified! Its not possible to apply one's brain to evaluating the recommendations made by any model if one doesn't know what has been done to it.
    This is exactly what I mean by "know what you are doing". Clueless newbies will search for a published program/answer that they can hold someone else responsible for. You can only know through experience. Get experience, then do. You will see.


  3. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Keller, Tx
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    I understand Chip, .
    Thank you….
    I appreciate what you said.

    Your generosity was very gracious.

    Andrew


  4. #84
    Guest

    Default VPM VR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    Somehow I need to be able to cut backup tables that MATCH the computer's profile! These guys have to understand that... no?
    Q: Is their going to be a way to cut back-up / bail-out tables for the VPM VR3?
    A: yes in diveplan mode

    Q: Is VPM going to be incorporated into ProPlanner or will you have a VPM simulator / dive planner for the VR3? It would be nice to have a way to create backup table that MATCH the computer’s profile.
    A: yes proplanner will be vpm as well. tables will never exactly match a variable DC profile but they will be close. We are testing VPM for safety issues now.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne
    Ask him if they are close to having a date set for implementation. It will be very interesting to see what is finally released.
    Q: Do you have a target release date for the VPM VR3?
    A: Summer


  5. #85
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    Cool - good answers thus far... now the wait begins


  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Third Stone From the Sun
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Chip, thanks for the detailed postings. Your attention to detail in a public forum is noted and appreciated.

    Why is it that nobody ever says,"I wish I would have worked more!"?

    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

    Jamie Rumph

  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern KY
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Thanks for getting that info and passing it along Chip 8)

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts