Thanks for the complement crazyduck. No, I haven’t read about Dr. Mayo and his dive that he was bent on. I plan on reading it in the near future. Thanks for turning me on to another good diving website.
I am not recommending that anyone dive with 0% conservatism. That’s an individual’s personal decision. I just happened to be running the VR3 in that mode. I usually add extra deep stops and other safety margins, if I run the VR3 with 0% conservatism. Also, I usually dive my VR3 with an external oxygen sensor in closed circuit mode. I am using the firmware version prior to the BIG LETTER upgrade.
Yes, I heard about the new VR3 upgrade and mixed user reactions to it, on a rebreather news list. Sometimes new features have bugs, which need to be corrected. I have a lot of confidence in Kevin G. It might also be good to mention the VR3 is based upon ProPlanner.
I also dive a Buddy Nexus. It is a very good nitrox computer made by A. P. Valves. Its easy to program and has both a close circuit and open circuit mode. It has a conservative setting; called dive conditions selection function, although it is limited to two options (a 0 or 1, with 0 being a normal setting and a 1 being the short table setting). Another great feature of the Nexus is that it has an auto switch depth selection function (it can be turned on or off). This feature automatically switches your oxygen setpoint in closed circuit mode, or your gas in open circuit mode, depending upon what user switch depth is programmed into the computer. You have two switch depth settings (one for descent and one for ascent). You can also override the switch depths manually. For open circuit, gas 1 is defined to be 21% - 50% and gas 2 is defined up to 100% oxygen.
I agree with you about your love / hate statement on the Cochran dive computers. I have a Nemesis IIa Nitrox dive computer. It’s a three gas nitrox dive computer. It can be programmed with a field programmer or by a personal computer. It’s capable of decompression mixes up to 99% oxygen. One of the selling points of the Nemesis IIa is its ability to be integrated wirelessly into a Cochran heads up display (HUD), which was to produce a computer screen like display inside a Cochran HUD mask. The Nemesis IIa has a large wireless transmitter, which hooks up to a high pressure port on a diver’s first stage. This sends a signal to the wrist computer. The Nemesis IIa automatically detects when you quit breathing your first gas source and it then switches to your second mix. It also has a programmable depth auto switch feature for your third gas mixture.
Cochran has a very feature rich dive computer log book and programmable interface for their dive computers called Analyst. Using Analyst you can program your dive computer with your gas mixes, switch depth and custom user parameters to tweak your individual decompression profile.
Another interesting point is a dive comparison between a VR3 and an Explorer with RBGM. The RBGM Explorer gives lots of additional deep stops (more dive table like), as opposed to the VR3 (with 0%). It takes the Explorer longer to process its RBGM computer model, so it shows a greater total time to surface. Eventually the RBGM Explorer clears before the VR3 on the shallower stops. I saw a caution about diving the RBGM Explorer on repetitive dives, on the same day, using the RBGM model.
If we venture further away from the original post, we could talk about rebreather dive computers. The Hammerhead can be used as a separate open circuit dive computer, but its primary use is to be attached to a closed circuit rebreather (CCR). It’s a trimix dive computer, which monitors three oxygen sensors and takes an average, to control the firing of a solenoid, to maintain a user defined set point (which can be changed during the dive). It has a primary and a secondary handset. The primary contains a trimix computer and the secondary controls the diva (a vibrating HUD). The Hammerhead has a user defined custom gradient factor for computing decompression. The Hammerhead can be used on many different rebreathers (Inspiration, Kiss, Mark 15, Mark 16 and the new Dive Rite CCR) and the handsets are designed to be interchangeable between different rebreathers.
I don’t know if anyone has considered starting a consortium to design a totally new dive computer. I do know many of the new trimix dive computers are evolving while I am typing on my computer. I work on computers and programming for a living. My obsession with diving (like so many others on this list), dive technology and dive computers has turned me into a divecomputeraholic. I haven't found a dive computer yet, which has all the features which I desire!
It looks like Widiver_Paul already has learned the VR3 and Mike H. has a very good point about programmable dive computers. Garbage in equates to garbage out. This is a general statement about programmable dive computers and I haven’t read Dr. Mayo’s report, so my comment doesn’t refer to his situation.
I hear a lot of people complain about the cost of dive computers (myself included). Dive computers are used for life support and most models cost less than a personal computer. How much is your life worth?
Dive safe, dive often and have fun … Chip


Reply With Quote


Bookmarks