Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: Have you ever lost the line before and if so how long did it take to find it.

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    42 46.67%
  • Yes one minute

    23 25.56%
  • Yes two minutes

    8 8.89%
  • Yes under five minutes

    8 8.89%
  • Yes under 10 minutes

    6 6.67%
  • Yes over 10 min, care to share?

    1 1.11%
  • Have you lost in zero vis ?

    1 1.11%
  • Have you lost the line in big tunnel?

    1 1.11%
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 77
  1. #41
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Two of the most infamous lost line incidents are polar opposites in the reaction and composure of the divers.

    A diver lost the line entering thunderhole and ended up in a low wide room, but shallow. She patiently waited HOURS for someone to come get her.

    The dual fatility at EN years back involved two divers losing the line. One found it eventually and was headed in the right direction when he ran OOA, the other was tangled in his own line and several other old lines. There were other contributing factors, but composure was certainly one.

    The depth and amount of gas you have left to search can't be overstated.

    "Is this thing on?"

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    538

    Default

    I like the idea of not using a line arrow at this point which might lead to confusion and just mark the side you think the exit is with cookie or as you describe the clip. But don't you clip back to the jump line with the clip? I've seen people clipping it to the main line but also seen this come loose which could end up in a mess especially in low viz.


  3. #43

    Default

    The clip should indicate exit direction in all cases, IMO. In this lost line scenario it represents the exit direction that the lost diver *thinks* is the exit direction. If that diver discovers they have travelled the wrong way - then change the clip to the other side of the reel.
    Take a look at the image found at: http://www.cavecountrydiving.com/photos/

    The clip is indicating the direction the diver *thinks* is the exit direction. No need to take time searching for arrows or cookies, as always---YMMV

    Jim Wyatt
    Cavediveflorida

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    698

    Default

    I remember my first lost line drill. Larry told me to close my eyes and find the line and dropped me off into the middle of nowhere. I had wondered about swimming along side the line and never finding it so I had plan. After the tie off I searched till I found the wall, then turning 180 degrees I opened my legs very wide and backed up till my fins both touched the wall and took off foward. Swam right to it. He ask me why I did that and I told him if my fins were 4 feet apart and both against the wall my chances for being squared up at 90 degrees were almost 100 percent, unless I was in a notch of some sort.
    He scratched his head, chuckled and passed me.
    On the exit at Ginnie one day I saw some poor lady doing a lost line drill at the largest part of the gallery. She was on the floor and the line was way above her on the wall almost to the Lips. Remembered thinking "hope you brought lunch". I wonder if she found it.

    If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    A useful aspect of good "line awareness" is that if you lose the line, you ought to have a pretty good idea of where it is in relation to you; right or left, floor, ceiling, or wall. And you probably haven't swam very far before noticing that you've lost it. So you have a good idea of where to look; you're not starting from scratch.

    On the other hand, doing a lights out lost line drill where the instructor turns you around and flips you over before you start - it could be anywhere! I like the squaring off the wall idea. Just like carpentry - it helps to start off with something plumb, level, or square.


  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Here's the two stories that give me the heebie geebies.


    http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...34-Broken-line

    Last edited by Wizard; 12-22-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Alabama
    Posts
    698

    Default


    If cave diving were Star Wars, who would be Yoda?

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Jim, I did understand how that works and that the clip should point towards exit. Looking at the picture the reel gets wrapped around the main line twice and than clipped to the mainline. Now if you unwrap the reel which could happen (more likely in higher flow systems) you are connected by the bolt snap only. This will result in a loose line and all relies on the bolt snap now.
    I wrap my reel around the main line twice and clip it back onto my line which gets wrapped twice in the bolt snap. I was under the assumption that is is standard practice since its pretty much impossible to unwrap and rely on the bolt snap connection only. Sure everyone lost something before that was just secured with a boltsnap only.
    Am I missing something on your technique which prevents it from unwrapping?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRnApuO8i9o


  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Am I missing something on your technique which prevents it from unwrapping?

    I have never seen one unwrap.


  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    Jim, I did understand how that works and that the clip should point towards exit. Looking at the picture the reel gets wrapped around the main line twice and than clipped to the mainline. Now if you unwrap the reel which could happen (more likely in higher flow systems) you are connected by the bolt snap only. This will result in a loose line and all relies on the bolt snap now.
    I wrap my reel around the main line twice and clip it back onto my line which gets wrapped twice in the bolt snap. I was under the assumption that is is standard practice since its pretty much impossible to unwrap and rely on the bolt snap connection only. Sure everyone lost something before that was just secured with a boltsnap only.
    Am I missing something on your technique which prevents it from unwrapping?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRnApuO8i9o
    It's a good question. Jim's answer is interesting as well.

    I asked my full cave instructor (Mike O'leary) the same question and got the same answer - it's an old school practice that isn't used anymore as it could become unwrapped leaving the jump line connected only by the bolt snap. And Mike is reasonably old school. I asked Mike because I used to do it that way but was told to clip back on the jump line by my intro instructor - some one who I tended to question for various reasons I won't go into. But the final score was 2-0 against the old practice.

    And now Jim makes it 2-1, and he's on the short list of instructors I'd trust.

    There seems to be a lack of consensus.

    NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ


 

Similar Threads

  1. Line Arrow/Cookie Holder Lost
    By tecterri in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
  2. Find Gold Line
    By txdiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 09:56 PM
  3. Lost from line together
    By alias in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 01:11 PM
  4. Lost line
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
  5. lost line drill with dpv
    By wingman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 11:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts