Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Y-valves?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    159

    Default Y-valves?

    Since I am only a cavern diver, I usually just use a single tank setup. Because of this I have always woried about free flowing regulators or busted hoses and no way to turn them off w/o turning off my only air source.
    I've been thinking recently about the use of a Y-valve on my single tank setup. I wasn't sure if the Y-valve was an old valve design (like the J-valve) and if somebody still makes a Y-valve? or, is there anybody that makes a DIN style valve that allows for dual 1st stages?

    thanx for any feedback you can offer


  2. #2

    Default Re: Y-valves?

    Quote Originally Posted by D1V3R
    Since I am only a cavern diver, I usually just use a single tank setup. Because of this I have always woried about free flowing regulators or busted hoses and no way to turn them off w/o turning off my only air source.
    I've been thinking recently about the use of a Y-valve on my single tank setup. I wasn't sure if the Y-valve was an old valve design (like the J-valve) and if somebody still makes a Y-valve? or, is there anybody that makes a DIN style valve that allows for dual 1st stages?

    thanx for any feedback you can offer
    if you are already a Cavern Diver and your diving single tank you should at least be using an H valve. What did you use for redundancy in your Cavern Class?

    No Comment

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    540

    Default Re: Y-valves?

    Quote Originally Posted by D1V3R
    Since I am only a cavern diver, I usually just use a single tank setup. Because of this I have always woried about free flowing regulators or busted hoses and no way to turn them off w/o turning off my only air source.
    I've been thinking recently about the use of a Y-valve on my single tank setup. I wasn't sure if the Y-valve was an old valve design (like the J-valve) and if somebody still makes a Y-valve? or, is there anybody that makes a DIN style valve that allows for dual 1st stages?

    thanx for any feedback you can offer
    You can purchase modular H valves from Thermal, Genesis, several different companies. Most of them are the 200 bar whereas you have the threaded inserts that will let you use yoke or DIN regulators. I would highly recommend you purchase one if you go in any overhead enviornment.

    "If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space"

    www.floridacavediver.com

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    159

    Default

    I have some older H-valves but they are for a yoke only, and I usually always use a DIN. I didnt know there was a DIN H-valve, that would be perfect for the diving I'm doing.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thinking of Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D1V3R
    I have some older H-valves but they are for a yoke only, and I usually always use a DIN. I didnt know there was a DIN H-valve, that would be perfect for the diving I'm doing.
    Most of the H valves were of the removable doughnut (Din to Yoke) type- I cant remember one that was yoke only. The Y valves, on the other hand- Sherwood made a good one, but it was yoke only- and I'm pretty sure they are no longer available. Beauchat also made a DIN y valve, but I dont think I've ever seen one in this country. For simplicity and clean setup, you cant beat a y valve (other than the yoke problem, anyway) the H valves are really half ass, but for now that is all there is. Perhaps someone will make a mold for a DIN y valve and start making one. But dont hold your breath.

    Jason


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern KY
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Not sure of the make, but I have seen some Y-valves around with the din-yoke conversion plug. You might want to check your H-valves more closely, could be they have this plug in them and can be used for din. I would opt for the H-valve if I had to buy some as they can be converted later on for use with manifolded doubles. The setup will cost more than a Y-valve, but it will be a lot more versatile.

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Valdosta,Ga
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: Y-valves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Titen
    Quote Originally Posted by D1V3R
    Since I am only a cavern diver, I usually just use a single tank setup. Because of this I have always woried about free flowing regulators or busted hoses and no way to turn them off w/o turning off my only air source.
    I've been thinking recently about the use of a Y-valve on my single tank setup. I wasn't sure if the Y-valve was an old valve design (like the J-valve) and if somebody still makes a Y-valve? or, is there anybody that makes a DIN style valve that allows for dual 1st stages?

    thanx for any feedback you can offer
    if you are already a Cavern Diver and your diving single tank you should at least be using an H valve. What did you use for redundancy in your

    Cavern Class?

    I don't know who or where you got your training but in every cavern course I have seen you do not have to have a H-Valve setup you can dive with open water setup other than it is recomended that you use a 5ft or longer Octo. hose. But if you are cavern and you have a free flowing reg. you should have been trained how to breath off of a freeflowing reg. I was trained that in O.W. course. Also you should not be in the cavern more than 200' of linear penatration so you should be able to get out safe breathing off of a freeflowing reg. The H-Valve is consistant with the Intro Level diver. But I took my O.W. course in a single tank H-Valve and my Intro Course in Doubles. But I do not blame you for wanting to go with redundant set up and get used to Valve management all practice only sharppens your skills. I always try to do a skill on 1st dive and if I am diving with someone I have never dove with before then it is a must to do a skill on 1st dive to see if they are up to par and then 2nd dive will be a pleasure dive.

    (All give some, Some give ALL . Semper Fi) Safe Diving (JAMMER)

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    159

    Default

    I was never told that I need to use an H-valve, and I know how to breath off a free-flowing regulator. But it does seem smart to have a way to shut it off especially in the case of a busted hose.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,842

    Default Y-Valves

    Try the following url: www.divers-supply.com Ask for Mitch-!
    If they can't find what you are looking for, no-one can. I used a Y-valve prior to my cave Cert. & enjoyed the ease of use with it. I wished I still had it as it provides various methods of redundency.
    Dive smart & safe-!

    Jack


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Theres a Divers Supply here in Jacksonville, I was ther buying some T-shirts last weekend . Hopefully somebody will make a DIN Y-valve, sounds like a job for Poseidon, lol



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts