I have always struggled with swimming speed. I come from a background of competitive swimming, so I tend to just want to go fast in the water. Looking at my log book, I was often swimming at close to 100 fpm in some of my earlier dives out of intro. I have really focused on slowing down, trying to hit more like 50 fpm. My RMV when in a cave was .75 or so when swimming fast, but as low as .35 when in open water. That right there was a clear indicator I was pushing way to hard. I started watching line arrows, being conscious about my speed, and sure enough my RMV dropped down to a more reasonable .45 - .5 when in the caves almost immediately. My buddy and I also quickly noticed we started to make it a further distance and see more. Now, I am not saying .7 is wrong for you, but it could be. Try going slower on a half dozen dives, see what comes of it. I always figured I was going at a perfectly fine pace for someone who was comfortable in the water, but I was wrong and only was able to determine this with giving slowing down a try.


Reply With Quote

Problem I have is that I'm 6'4" and 260, and all the extra muscle mass is what hurts that bit. My deco sac rate is in the .35 ish range, so as long as I'm not moving I'm fine, but to get my legs to work is what kills that.


Bookmarks