Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    gainesville, FL
    Posts
    95

    Default training question

    I'm thinking about continuing my cave education and am interested in getting opinions on changing instructors. I'd like to know some various thoughts/perspectives on either going the distance with one instructor or changing it up once or twice throughout the course of the training. I've heard that going with different instructors at each level is a good thing and I've heard the opposite. I'd appreciate some input.

    Thanks


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    While I think changing definetely gives you a more broader spectrum of ideas for learning, somelike their instrutor so much that they dont really give switchingmuch thought. You may feel more confortable with someone you know and have dove with, had lunch with etc. and know more of what to expect. The stress level is probably less with your old instructor.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    I have a feeling you're going to get lots of mixed feedback and end up right back where you started. There are very solid reasons for both sides. I chose to explore different instructors....did my cavern and intro (and several other courses) with one instructor then, just to experience a new instructor since IANTD doesn't have Apprentice, I did an Apprentice with a different instructor, fully expecting to return to my original for full cave. The Apprentice course and new instructor proved to be an excellent experience just to get some new ideas and fresh views on some of the things I was doing (and not doing).
    Good luck,

    ----
    Cave Mann

  4. #4

    Default

    I am a believer in the different instructor school of thought. You can pick up different concepts, philosophies, points of view and practices from each instructor and then make an educated decison yourself as to what practices make the most sense for your type of diving. That applies to all technical diving courses, not just cave diving.

    As for fans of the single instructor model, I had a conversation this weekend with a developing cave diver who was a major fan of his intro level instructor. The problem is that with no other frame of reference, he had no real basis for determining how good the instructor really was. Given that the instructor in question was my intro instructor, and having taken courses with other instructors, I had a decidedly different opinion that the instructor in question was not the be-all-end-all in instructors.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    No where... formerly Miami, FL. Athens, GA, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DA Aquamaster View Post
    I am a believer in the different instructor school of thought. You can pick up different concepts, philosophies, points of view and practices from each instructor and then make an educated decison yourself as to what practices make the most sense for your type of diving. That applies to all technical diving courses, not just cave diving.
    Well said !

    The shoals are there still, the winds howl loud, the rain beats down, the waves burst strong. Some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy. John T. Cunningham

  6. #6

    Default

    I like having one person I know and like, and sticking with them. They know what I have down pat,and what I might still need to work on and help out in that area. As mentioned, there are pros and cons to each side, but even after you are certified, you can get different perspectives, ideas and philosophies from other instructors and divers. I have learned more from other divers that I have dove with, or hung out with, than I did in any class at any level, even going back to basic OW class. Again, I dont think there is any right or wrong answer here.

    Insert something witty and creative here_________________________.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Well, I have mixed feelings. I believe there are some instructors out there that really do know as much as most instructors combined. For this reason I chose Bill Rennaker as my Cave Instructor, Tom Mount as my IT and I chose Jim Wyatt at my Cave IT. I believe they are the best of the best. I think there are people who know everything that anyone else knows about the sport and are good at teaching that to a student. But, for some having all the knowledge in the world doesn't mean you know jack about helping others to learn that knowledge.

    I see so many students who have only had one instructor ever, from Open Water all the way through Cave and beyond. I think they are screwing themselves. They have no idea whether that instructor is good, great or sucks. They simply have no reference at all. Everyone thinks their instructor is the greatest diver ever, because compared to you newly certed at whatever level you are at, they are the greatest you've seen to that point.

    In my opinion students really should see at least 3 perspectives.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oyster Bay
    Posts
    605

    Default

    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm planning on going back down to Florida in January to do full cave, and even though I really enjoyed taking cavern/intro/AN with my instructor, I'm thinking that I should seek another instructor just for a different perspective.

    Part of me wants to continue with one being that I have more cave dives with him than anyone else and I do feel he is a very good instructor. The other part of me says take it with someone new and see what tricks or different philosophy they can offer.

    Along the same lines I have an additional question... If I'm trained through TDI should I stick with it and go for it's Full cave class or is there a difference and should I look at the apprentice/full class through NACD/NSSCDS? It should amount to the same class but just wondering if there is a difference.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DA Aquamaster View Post
    I am a believer in the different instructor school of thought. You can pick up different concepts, philosophies, points of view and practices from each instructor and then make an educated decison yourself as to what practices make the most sense for your type of diving. That applies to all technical diving courses, not just cave diving.
    +1, with extra emphasis on all levels of diving, not just cave.


  10. #10

    Default

    I think I have learned different things from each of the four instructors with whom I have worked. In addition, each of them held different standards for performance in various areas. From what I have seen, diving with a bunch of people with different backgrounds, some instructors will really let people slide by on some stuff. Working with different people may be a good way to make sure you find and fill those holes.



 

Similar Threads

  1. open water training question
    By skip in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-10-2010, 12:24 AM
  2. Cavern Training
    By fazerkid78 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 02:04 PM
  3. 'In Training'
    By JE in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 09:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts