Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The ATL & N. GA Mountains
    Posts
    120

    Default

    This is great news!

    I have found myself down there on occasion with my wife or others who are OW cert. and might be interested in a dive.

    I will gladly leave the lights and reel in my vehicle if I can now properly complete a dive with them. Thanks to the park management.

    AS for people "sneaking" into the cave, I think that if cave divers have OW divers try and follow them in or you see them inside (let's face it they aren't that hard to spot...) then turn around grab them by the tank valve and drag their little butts out to the entrance if they wont go out ahead of you - I highly doubt that they will follow you back again.. write them a wet note if you have to and tell them that you will be calling the Sheriff on them if they try it again (and you will be REALLY P.O.d if you have to get out of the water to make a phone call ), and wave goodbye to them and continue your cave dive. Once you are a few feet inside, you shouldn't have to worry about this scenario anyway - unless you meet some really foolish OW types (then do the same thing)

    I wouldn't see this move by the park as anything but positive for everyone's benefit.

    JB


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resolute

    AS for people "sneaking" into the cave, I think that if cave divers have OW divers try and follow them in or you see them inside (let's face it they aren't that hard to spot...) then turn around grab them by the tank valve and drag their little butts out to the entrance if they wont go out ahead of you - I highly doubt that they will follow you back again.. write them a wet note if you have to and tell them that you will be calling the Sheriff on them if they try it again (
    Until the "little" 6'8" ex-marine O/W diver grabs YOUR valve and decides he didnt like your attitude then firmly places it in a new orifice........

    dave


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The ATL & N. GA Mountains
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Until the "little" 6'8" ex-marine O/W diver grabs YOUR valve and decides he didnt like your attitude then firmly places it in a new orifice........

    dave
    For someone that stubborn or foolhardy I'd just call/abort the dive, return to the surface (hopefully he'd follow - if not, oh well) - go to my phone and call the sheriff or the park law enforcement- let them deal with him and his "attitude" (after all, that's what they get paid to do)... I'll just be a willing witness as to what happened if necessary... Guess some days just aren't meant for diving for various reasons....

    Seriously, this place was available as a good OW dive site for years, and I personally recall having many wonderful OW dives in OG. Of course, I knew that the cave was stricitly off limits, respected that fact and never had any problems.

    (and I also knew if I was caught with a light, I would have one of more of these things happen: 1- be thrown out of the park, 2- have my gear confiscated, 3- be fined or 4 - go to jail (just like it should be..) - and jail in Suwanee County dosen't seem like it would be too fun

    JB


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resolute
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Until the "little" 6'8" ex-marine O/W diver grabs YOUR valve and decides he didnt like your attitude then firmly places it in a new orifice........

    dave
    For someone that stubborn or foolhardy I'd just call/abort the dive, return to the surface (hopefully he'd follow - if not, oh well) - go to my phone and call the sheriff or the park law enforcement- let them deal with him and his "attitude" (after all, that's what they get paid to do)... I'll just be a willing witness as to what happened if necessary... Guess some days just aren't meant for diving for various reasons....

    Seriously, this place was available as a good OW dive site for years, and I personally recall having many wonderful OW dives in OG. Of course, I knew that the cave was stricitly off limits, respected that fact and never had any problems.

    (and I also knew if I was caught with a light, I would have one of more of these things happen: 1- be thrown out of the park, 2- have my gear confiscated, 3- be fined or 4 - go to jail (just like it should be..) - and jail in Suwanee County dosen't seem like it would be too fun

    JB
    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time someone was:
    1- thrown out of the park, 2- have their gear confiscated, 3- fined or 4 - went to jail
    for breaking the rules?

    Celia

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The ATL & N. GA Mountains
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amphipod06
    [Just out of curiosity, when was the last time someone was:
    1- thrown out of the park, 2- have their gear confiscated, 3- fined or 4 - went to jail
    for breaking the rules?

    Celia
    Not sure..... maybe its an old wives tale.... but it's what was being passed around the rumor mill back when I was an OW type hanging around Peacock.. but I actually do believe that they can levy some kind of penalty on you for improperly accessing the springs (just like solo diving improperly there)... anyone in autho-ri-TAY care to comment??

    JB


  6. #16
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amphipod06
    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time someone was:
    1- thrown out of the park, 2- have their gear confiscated, 3- fined or 4 - went to jail
    for breaking the rules?

    Celia
    I have personally seen Janet throw someone out for solo diving, more then once. She watches the park like a hawk from what I have seen, and I'm thankful for it.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amphipod06
    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time someone was:
    1- thrown out of the park, 2- have their gear confiscated, 3- fined or 4 - went to jail
    for breaking the rules?

    Celia
    I saw someone kicked out of the park for solo diving last year. The ranger said if law enforcement had gotten there before they left gear would have been confiscated...

    Richard Blackburn
    All comments are my own.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rblackburn
    Quote Originally Posted by amphipod06
    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time someone was:
    1- thrown out of the park, 2- have their gear confiscated, 3- fined or 4 - went to jail
    for breaking the rules?

    Celia
    I saw someone kicked out of the park for solo diving last year. The ranger said if law enforcement had gotten there before they left gear would have been confiscated...
    Although I have seen Janet admonish and ultimately sell an annual pass (in lieu of kicking their sorry bottom out of the park) to several solo divers I don't think anyone has suffered any lasting consequences to the breaking of rules.
    It is not difficult to keep an eye on trained cave divers (not that she really needs to since the vast majority have good judgement and follow the rules, support the park and are self policing), OW divers may be more difficult (although they sure stick out with all the colorful gear...) to police and keep out of places they shouldn't be.
    The comment was not meant to be a criticism of Janet's ability to police and enforce the rules, rather a comment on the fact that nothing can really be done unless law enforcement personnel are present and as you mentioned, the offending diver usually takes their leave prior to that occurring.
    Ok, back to lurk. Dive safe and come back to tell the story.

    Celia

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern KY
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rblackburn
    Quote Originally Posted by amphipod06
    Just out of curiosity, when was the last time someone was:
    1- thrown out of the park, 2- have their gear confiscated, 3- fined or 4 - went to jail
    for breaking the rules?

    Celia
    I saw someone kicked out of the park for solo diving last year. The ranger said if law enforcement had gotten there before they left gear would have been confiscated...
    If Gabry is reading this I bet he is breathing a big sigh of relief that it was not the same ranger who caught him solo on his YBOD last year He just wrote his name down to be reported, not sure who it was being reported to though. Heard mention this year of a possible ban if one gets caught more than once.

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts