Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stairman View Post
    Be sure the backup is completely empty.
    Yep, empty. I inflate the primary 100% then push the button on the backup to make sure its empty before diving. I have kept them both partially inflated when stored.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood_60 View Post
    I got my first dive in my PST 104s yesterday. Everything went well except one thing... I spent my entire time fighting being flipped on my back, and a fair amount of the dive on my back.

    Here is my setup:
    Doubled PST 104s 3300 psi down to about 500
    5mm wetsuit and hood
    ABS backplate
    Dive Rite dual rec wing

    My theory is the wing is not wide enough for doubles that big. I have an older dive rite wing that is wider (AFAIK its what became the "classic"). Am I on the right track? Or do you guys all have some superhuman ability to fight flipping over all while frog kicking so gracefully? And I imagine having to use a drysuit for emergency buoyancy would be a mother ******!
    OK, I'm not going to respond to all the other posts, just the OP's original post....

    IMHO...

    A wreck wing (single or dual bladder) is too small for a set of double 104's

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Mke might be right on what he said but the 108's and 95's are the same width, so the wing not being wide enough isnt the case. I have dove a 3 mill with stage and had plenty of lift but Im only 150 lbs too.


  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Line Squirrel View Post
    (1) A wreck (rec?) wing (single or dual bladder) is too small for a set of double 104's.
    Please explain why. It has more than enough lift (big enough volume wise). Like I said, I think it's to wide enough. As in the lift is squashed below the tanks, rather than wrapping them at all, giving me the lead stuck to a balloon feeling. So if it not being wide enough is what you mean, I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Line Squirrel View Post
    (2) If you keep getting flipped over on your back, it's not the wing.
    Then what is it?


  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stairman View Post
    ...plenty of lift but Im only 150 lbs too.
    Damn... i'm almost double that... haha. Since most people float, and add larger items that float more the bigger you are, I would think on average, little people (no offence ment Randy...er, and Russle... and FW...lol) would need more lift than big people (that list is so much longer!)... Im sure the SAC rate of us big people means we bring enough extra tank to more than over compensate for the extra lift though.

    Last edited by Greenwood_60; 04-10-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: lift, not left

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    I have never tried a rec wing with 104s, but Mike may be right. If you have to put a lot of air in it to float the tanks, you might get the "weight-balanced-on-a-balloon" syndrome. Since a classic wing is wider, the same volume of gas rides up higher up on the sides of the tanks, getting the lift above the tanks.

    A buoyant diver may make the balance even worse, since there will be more lift below the tanks.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #17

    Default

    I will try the classic wing next time. I will have to pick up a SMB or something though. The wings are old and well worn, and I don't feel like tempting Murphy...


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    538

    Default

    keep in mind that when you dive doubles you do not dive the regular open water style. meaning if you see something t your left all you do is turn your head not trying to roll your body you should always stay horizontal with your body, meaning not standing up with fins down or head down fins up. same with left and right if you rotate you will start rolling with doubles. some people need two or three dives some maybe 20. look at the cave dive profile and try to do the same. I don't think its the wing. more practicing


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brandon, Fl.
    Posts
    498

    Default

    If I may.. let me throw out a suggestion here. Go with a Hollis 55# wing. They are relatively inexpensive and hold up really well. I dive with steel 112's and they are real wide. The Hollis goes around the outside of them very nicely and I don't have any issues with rolling over.


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    I found this site that says the lift for that wing will be good up to and including 2 steel 95's. It may indeed be the wing is too small, or from my perspective the tanks are too big.http://store.gilldivers.com/dive-rite-dual-rec-wing



 

Similar Threads

  1. This could be fun
    By fghray1 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 07:20 AM
  2. Fun at Little River
    By tflaris in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 08:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts