"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick
If the river level doesn't reach the spring,it can still be adversely affected by some tannic vents. Commonly some areas in the Nicholson/Cisteen tunnel can get tannic,with stratified layers. Also,there is a section of the Waterhole tunnel,that will get real milky,and lower viz.
"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick
Just thought I'd take yet another opportunity to remind everyone that, while the annual floods and spring reversals result in temporary loss of diving access to the caves, they are vital to the health of the aquifer and the ecosystem in the caves. These floods do all the following: flush large quantities of food sources into the caves for the cave organisms, provide an important source of recharge to the aquifer, and 'dam' the normal groundwater outflows to the river, thereby allowing aquifer levels to increase far from the river (which is why the flow is so much stronger after a flood). For some stretches of the river, the annual amount of 'groundwater' that flows into the river is nearly the same as the amount of 'surface' water that gets flushed back into the aquifer during flood events.
Jason Gulley
Cool, can you send me a PDF of your dissertation?
Dave
"BM is so eighties" — Phillip1
I could.... but you might not be so interested in it. My dissertation is on the hydrology of glaciers.
I've got one paper out on spring reversals in the Suwannee River Basin thus far and a few more that are in various stages of prep, review and revision. PM me an email address and I'll send you the reversals paper. If I can things to slow down a bit, I'd like to write a layman's version for one of the cave diving rags.
Jason Gulley
What is the proceedure for closing Madison? Surely it's not the park ranger walking over to the spring and looking down and it doesn't look diveable to him and then walking over to Martz to confirm.
Bookmarks