Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    672

    Default Full Cave ... Finally

    When I first got into diving over a decade ago I knew I wanted to dive caves. For years I never had the extra money for equipment and training. Eventually I got to start piecing together equipment and found some extra money for training. So on weekends without homework or pending exams I started training. I worked my way through adv nox/deco/trimix/adv trimix to cavern. I was ready for cave when I graduated college, got a really good job and moved to Arizona.

    Fast forward four years and I'm back in the southeast, getting back into diving and I bump into my old instructor. I got the thought back into my head, made a quick trip to Vortex and Morrison and I was bitten by the bug again. After a little bit of gathering equipment and research I was ready to proceed. After few weekends of diving (ok several) I FINALLY finished full cave.

    I would like to thank my instructors, Jim Charles and Edd Sorenson, for their time, dedication, ability to work with my schedule and willingness to allow me to train in sidemount. It was an awesome experience (oh and I will never go back to backmount ).


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Congratulations!


  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    Nor will you ever have extra $$$ money again. It's already all spoken for, and you don't even know it yet !!

    Welcome to the other side.

    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

    The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

  4. #4

    Default

    Congrats


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    222

    Default

    It works, but I still prefer to be in backmount with my open water students, it's easier to run in and out of the water, and in the keys it's easier for single tanks...
    Sidemount rocks though, congrats again


  6. #6
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saxplayer1004 View Post
    It works, but I still prefer to be in backmount with my open water students,
    Wouldn't it be breaking standards to be in ANY configuration other than a single backmounted cylinder when you are teaching open water?

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, Kansas
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Congrats, that's awesome!!!!


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Quebec city
    Age
    45
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Really good! Now your extra money can be use to come and dive in Mexico

    Etienne Rousseau

    Revo rebreather Instructor
    Cave Instructor
    --------------------------
    http://www.plongeecapitale.com/

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    222

    Default

    NAUI allows us to be in doubles. Our university has a waiver for that, we don't have to have snorkels either and we are allowed to have the instructors/ai's in full face masks so we can communicate with the students better. Granted every time we actually try to use them we get ticked and put them away, but still.
    The AI's can be in any configuration they want so long as it's open circuit. We have an instructor who can't carry backmount so he's in sidemount the whole time.
    The DSO here has had an interesting bout with the agencies that allows him the leniency in teaching open water comparable to that of a full cave instructor, which he is. Even the stuff we make the students do at OWT is frowned upon by NAUI, but they know they can't/won't stop him from doing it. So we have fun meetings with the regional directors every year. I'm certainly not complaining about it, it allows me to be much more comfortable in the water in doubles rather than singles. I'll double check the NAUI books to see what they actually say, it's been a while since I've had to care... I'm far more concerned with irritating my boss than NAUI though... He's scary


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brandon, Fl.
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Congrats!!!!



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 05:27 PM
  2. finally vacations, cave hunting season is open!!
    By Neptuno in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts