Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Woo hoo! Way to go!

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    672

    Default

    Thanks guys.

    I haven't used the sidemount config in open water or on a boat yet so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by graepaep View Post
    Thanks guys.

    I haven't used the sidemount config in open water or on a boat yet so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks
    Side mount works everywhere, just ignore them

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    222

    Default

    It works, but I still prefer to be in backmount with my open water students, it's easier to run in and out of the water, and in the keys it's easier for single tanks...
    Sidemount rocks though, congrats again


  5. #15
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saxplayer1004 View Post
    It works, but I still prefer to be in backmount with my open water students,
    Wouldn't it be breaking standards to be in ANY configuration other than a single backmounted cylinder when you are teaching open water?

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okinawa JP
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    I enjoy SM diving alot. but it is nice to have a set of doubles in the truck incase I dive with a BM group. That way we can all be in the same config.


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    222

    Default

    NAUI allows us to be in doubles. Our university has a waiver for that, we don't have to have snorkels either and we are allowed to have the instructors/ai's in full face masks so we can communicate with the students better. Granted every time we actually try to use them we get ticked and put them away, but still.
    The AI's can be in any configuration they want so long as it's open circuit. We have an instructor who can't carry backmount so he's in sidemount the whole time.
    The DSO here has had an interesting bout with the agencies that allows him the leniency in teaching open water comparable to that of a full cave instructor, which he is. Even the stuff we make the students do at OWT is frowned upon by NAUI, but they know they can't/won't stop him from doing it. So we have fun meetings with the regional directors every year. I'm certainly not complaining about it, it allows me to be much more comfortable in the water in doubles rather than singles. I'll double check the NAUI books to see what they actually say, it's been a while since I've had to care... I'm far more concerned with irritating my boss than NAUI though... He's scary


  8. #18
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    My mother, who will be 80 in May, can't walk with a cylinder any more. So her buddy (usually me) carries her BC to the water and she puts it on in the water. Really complicated.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    222

    Default

    sounds like when I dive with my buddy. But he's 40 and has a bad back. Apparently it's immensely comical to watch me carry a set of doubles on my back, clutching his doubles in front of me, in a drysuit when it's cold and run into and out of the water... Good lord can I not wait for him to get into sidemount. uggh.
    that's awesome your mom is still diving at 80 though! that's impressive


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    672

    Default

    For regular OW dives (spearfishing and pretty fish dives) I still use a single back mount and a small pony bottle. I will, however, probably start doing my lobster dives in sidemount.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 05:27 PM
  2. finally vacations, cave hunting season is open!!
    By Neptuno in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts