Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Swapping regs

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Panama City Florida
    Posts
    481

    Default

    I took an advanced OW class many years ago where one of the drills was 10 tanks strewn on the bottom of the pool. You had to swim to each tank without a mask and get gas from the tank, get a breath or two and move on to the next. Each tank had it's own regulator with some sort of problem, ex: free flow, no diaphram, no exhaust mushroom valve, leaking water, no 2nd stage but a LP hose to slurp off of, etc. The last tank had no regulator and required valve breathing. I found it easiest to open the valve and create an air plume to draw a breath from versus wrapping my mouth around the valve and opening it.

    I have since had to swap out regs during deco from one tank to another in order to access all the planned mixes due to a failed reg enroute to the surface.


  2. #42
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawCaver View Post
    I have since had to swap out regs during deco from one tank to another in order to access all the planned mixes due to a failed reg enroute to the surface.
    I think i watched you do that...was it at diepolder?

    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

    "Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawCaver View Post
    I took an advanced OW class many years ago where one of the drills was 10 tanks strewn on the bottom of the pool. You had to swim to each tank without a mask and get gas from the tank, get a breath or two and move on to the next. Each tank had it's own regulator with some sort of problem, ex: free flow, no diaphram, no exhaust mushroom valve, leaking water, no 2nd stage but a LP hose to slurp off of, etc. The last tank had no regulator and required valve breathing. I found it easiest to open the valve and create an air plume to draw a breath from versus wrapping my mouth around the valve and opening it.

    I have since had to swap out regs during deco from one tank to another in order to access all the planned mixes due to a failed reg enroute to the surface.
    I remember doing a similar circuit, not in an advanced OW course though (I guess yours wasn't PADI ). Good fun. I swapped regs once in the pool. It works...how happy I would be doing it under real stress remains to be seen (or not hopefully).

    Cheers, Marc


  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawCaver View Post
    I took an advanced OW class many years ago where one of the drills was 10 tanks strewn on the bottom of the pool. You had to swim to each tank without a mask and get gas from the tank, get a breath or two and move on to the next. Each tank had it's own regulator with some sort of problem, ex: free flow, no diaphram, no exhaust mushroom valve, leaking water, no 2nd stage but a LP hose to slurp off of, etc. The last tank had no regulator and required valve breathing.

    Forrest made us do that in cave dive class. 1977.

    Last edited by Sludge; 03-11-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: bbcode

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I mean, remove a reg from one sidemounted cylinder, hold your breath, remove the other reg, and install it on the first cylinder.
    Hi Russell,

    Which reason to hold the breath?. At least can re-breath from the inflator/ corrugated hose safely for three or four times. In the other hand, removing a DIN first stage underwater is the best way to lose the o-ring (I always carry one extra DIN oring for each second stage; can upload a pic if useful), but...

    Quote Originally Posted by argyris View Post
    I think this is a very desperate technique.
    I agree. As read, it is best recipe for serious problems. What reason to change regs with a proper gas planning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin Rhoda View Post
    Phillip: did you rebuild your regs after practicing this skill? Did your spg's get moisture in them?
    Good input!


  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Igor Beades View Post
    I agree. As read, it is best recipe for serious problems. What reason to change regs with a proper gas planning?
    This is the point I think many divers here are missing. In order for reg swapping to even show up on the horizon as something you might have to do, you have to have a catatrophic gas loss / reg failure on top of improper gas planning or management. So if you need to do it, you've already seriously screwed up on top of having an unexpected failure.

    My concern is that a few divers may decide that proper management of SM cylinders (i.e. maintaining enough reserve in either tank to exit or reach your deco gas in the event the contents of the other are lost) is no longer as important as a reg failure becomes something that is manageable by swapping regs.


  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Panama City Florida
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Indeed it was Bill.

    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    I think i watched you do that...was it at diepolder?


  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillip1 View Post
    I did it in training with my eyes closed (zero viz sim), and in my pool on occasion for good measure with a sacrificial reg, really it is very easy to do, in fact the hardest thing about this drill is keeping good trim during the swap, the actual swap is easy, and if need be you can take a breath of the valve if you need more time (also very very easy to do) this is were breathing off the valve comes in very handy, you can take as long as needed to do the swap, no need to do it in one breath or if take too long

    This would be an extreme last resort solution but still a good skill to have, at least if sh!!t hits the fan you would know it is an option and much better than breathing off the valves (the absolute last resort but also doable too).
    Phillip,
    The next time you practice this drill, get a buddy to video it. Not that I want to see you get slammed or anything like that, but it would generate some interesting comments I'm sure.


  9. #49

    Default

    I will and I won't get slammed cause I will do it in style, in fact it might even be part of the Sidemount Tips and Tricks vol.2 video, so there.lol...

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://dr-ss.com
    Aquavista Films LLC.
    http://www.aquavistafilms.com


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 04:43 PM
  2. FS: DR Regs
    By billyf in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 02:03 PM
  3. Regs
    By curtschu in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 08:05 PM
  4. FS: Regs
    By HomoErectus in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 03:18 PM
  5. New Regs
    By Bob in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 02:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts