Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Swapping regs

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South side of Lake Ontario
    Age
    56
    Posts
    193

    Default

    A dip tube getting plugged in a tank I would think would be more common......Especially if its a resort or rental tank, being they dont seem to be maintained as well. I just read somewhere about this happening on two consecutive dives,,,must of been DAN's Mag.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Well, enough people have tried this, that I don't have to. Like Larry said, regs normally fail open anyway. I have had to valve a reg a couple of times. You tend to hold your breath too long, and end up with a headache.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Way too far from cave country
    Age
    46
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Didn't Jill H. talk about the thought process in her last adventure?


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    I have done the feathering on off a few times and in fact I do it sometimes during deco to practice it. I have never swapped out full regulators (never 1 st stage) but have switch out my second stages. I dive the same regs on deco bottles (I have many regs now and group them by type). In the great lakes for awhile we only hand tightened the hose onto the 2 nd stage, we'd turn off the gas purge the reg and swith 2 nd stages. ( now just carry a c-wrench in my OH Sh-t pocket). Feathering works better but during real long decos switch 2nd stages is easier. FYI if I swicth 2 nd stages I have reg overhauled and dried. Should be noted I dive 90% in fresh water and never done this in sea water.

    Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    This is from another thread:

    "... independent backmounted twins. If you lose one regulator, you can't get at the gas in that tank, like you could in sidemount..."

    Has anyone ever actually done this? I mean, remove a reg from one sidemounted cylinder, hold your breath, remove the other reg, and install it on the first cylinder.

    I'm not asking if you think you can do it. I'm asking if you ever did, either in an actual reg-failure situation or in a pool as an exercise.

    (I realize the possibility exists where there is a reg "failure" such that the second stage freeflows and a sidemount diver can "feather" the valve open and closed, but this is not what I'm talking about.)
    I did it in the pool. It's doable, but even the smallest mistake will leave you SOL. I'd hate to depend on it but would consider it if there were no other options.

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    You can even breathe directly off the tank valve, if it meant saving your life.
    I learned this skill from watching Sanctum! The movie website refuses to issue C-Cards though.......

    -Jon


  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    This is from another thread:

    "... independent backmounted twins. If you lose one regulator, you can't get at the gas in that tank, like you could in sidemount..."

    Has anyone ever actually done this? I mean, remove a reg from one sidemounted cylinder, hold your breath, remove the other reg, and install it on the first cylinder.

    I'm not asking if you think you can do it. I'm asking if you ever did, either in an actual reg-failure situation or in a pool as an exercise.

    (I realize the possibility exists where there is a reg "failure" such that the second stage freeflows and a sidemount diver can "feather" the valve open and closed, but this is not what I'm talking about.)
    I did it a few times in training, it is very easy to do and if need be and it takes more time than a single Berwyn hold you can breeth of the valve and continue with the reg swap.
    Most probably you will never have to actually do this but why not practice it just in case? I find it important no matter how remote the chances are and these two skills do not involve any extra gear but an extra way to use the gas you have in case of a failure.

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://dr-ss.com
    Aquavista Films LLC.
    http://www.aquavistafilms.com

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Steve Bogaerts has his students practice it in his Advanced Sidemount class.Here is an account by a student, toward the end of the article.


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Swapping regs? I am all for it. I have 6 Calpyso IV's that I would gladly swap for Dive Rites, Scubapros, or Apex.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  10. #20
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Is that quote from Flipper?

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 04:43 PM
  2. FS: DR Regs
    By billyf in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 02:03 PM
  3. Regs
    By curtschu in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 08:05 PM
  4. FS: Regs
    By HomoErectus in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 03:18 PM
  5. New Regs
    By Bob in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 02:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts