My Boss and I always get into neat discussion's about Nano Technology, we are both engineers and we both look forward to using a lot of the new technologies coming down the pipe line. My Boss knows I cave dive and sent these to me today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respirocyte
http://www.thenanoage.com/respirocytes.htm
http://www.kurzweilai.net/respirocytes
Imagine being able to hold your breath for 4 hours. Forget rebreathers I'm waiting for these.
Quote from 2nd Article.
"Respirocytes would have interesting applications for diving. A diver with respirocytes in his/her bloodstream would be able to dive for hours on a single breath while avoiding both the bends and narcosis, since these afflictions are caused by breathing compressed air underwater (under pressure) which allows more nitrogen to dissolve into the bloodstream than at one atmosphere of pressure. Returning to the surface after prolonged submersion can cause the nitrogen dissolved in the blood to return to a gas (bubbles) more quickly than it can it can be removed."
Quote from 3rd article.
"...the diver simply holds his breath and dives, goes about his business underwater for a few hours, then surfaces, hyperventilates for 8 minutes to recharge, and returns to work below."
Thanks,



Reply With Quote


Bookmarks