Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 36 of 36
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Maybe I'll just pass on Hospital Hole. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth.


  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GLM View Post
    Maybe I'll just pass on Hospital Hole. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth.
    Agreed - I think that's why it's called "Hospital" Hole!


  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Age
    40
    Posts
    170

    Default

    The last time I dove Hospital Hole (~2 months ago) there were two H2S Layers, one at 45' and one at 85'. Traditionally there is only one around 70'. Because the sulfur was deeper than normal I saw some formations I had never seen, there was a section of the wall with draperies about 10' x 20'. Very cool
    It is a neat dive and worth doing at least once!

    Matt Vinzant

  4. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Playa del Carmen, Mexico
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Hi.. last year diving Hell's Bells in Q.roo, Mexico with a really high concentration of H2S, I had water getting in in the mouth for a mouth piece problem.... I was diving a reabreather...went on OC exhaled, took a fresh breath and went again in CCR. Called the dive (we were doing our safety stop). The taste in the mouth was horrible and while my buddies did a second dive I was not feeling so good and decided to stay out. Spend the time sleeping and when I woke up I had that taste in the mouth for another 2 days. I dove other places before and after Hell's Bells and never had a skin problem or others. I guide people in these cenotes and inform them not to clear the mask and that some people can be sensitive to the H2S. However it is for sure a very bad idea to taste it!


  5. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NYC/TCI-Provo
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Do a latex hood, dry gloves and FFM help with this kind of scenario?


  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danseur View Post
    Do a latex hood, dry gloves and FFM help with this kind of scenario?
    If the layer is really thick, and strong perhaps, but the stuff still attacks all your metal gear

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Similar Threads

  1. Hydrogen Sulfide Layer
    By cavermatt in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 08:10 AM
  2. inert gas...
    By kinetic in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 05:10 PM
  3. Gas planning
    By Kelly Jessop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 02:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts