Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 134
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    it's not a big deal
    No?

    Let's have an example:

    3 teams of 3 divers each diving the system.

    Zero visibility on the way back.

    3 intersections.

    How is having each diver negotiate 9 cookies X 3 (= 18 cookies) on the way out in zero visibility fast / efficient?


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Negotiate a line marker? You feel the cookies and you go that-a-way.

    Each person placing a cookie actively involves each team member in the navigation process. Nothing is passive "follow the leader", it requires a physical act.

    Another benefit is if the team gets separated. John Doe is missing, and the search can no longer continue. Presumably, John is looking for his dive buddy, Jane Doe. One of them will come to the last nav decision first (if they get there at the same time, problem solved and pulls their own cookie. If Jane gets to her cookie and sees that John's isn't there anymore, she knows John is on the way out. This is a good thing.


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    first of all, the odds of the ever elusive 'zero visibility' persisting over three intersections is exceedingly rare in my estimation. and in a passage like that I probably wouldn't have a three man team.
    I've negotiated intersections in zero vis before. you pick up your cookie and go on about your business. if the extra time it takes for your team mates to pick up their cookies is the difference maker you need to re-evaluate your gas plan...or your teammates.

    zero visibility on the line is probably going to be a tad slower. this shouldn't be an issue. there's no need for the team to be scrambling for the exit.


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Narcosis?? Insidious and subtle??? Have you been watching too many Sea Hunt reruns, or what?

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LCF View Post
    Well, maybe you guys are right, but I see a pattern of me doing really stupid things at depth that I don't do on shallower dives, and it scares me.
    Cousteau said the best protection against narcosis was to have a plan that included a safe exit. He didn't intend this for cave diving, but the idea would be the same.

    If the plan was to see how deep you could get, then you kept going, until you died. If the plan was to go down to a specific point, then return to the surface, chances of survival where greatly increased.

    I suspect it is a lot harder to plan for a class, than an ordinary recreational cave dive. Add narcosis to that, and it is easy to see how mistakes could be made.

    One good clue is, what else do you remember about "deep" dives. If you remember shallow dives better than ones below 100', then it could be narcosis.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pfcaj View Post
    negotiate a line marker? You feel the cookies and you go that-a-way.
    how do you know it is your cookie you are "feeling"?


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LCF View Post
    Well, maybe you guys are right, but I see a pattern of me doing really stupid things at depth that I don't do on shallower dives, and it scares me.
    Well, If there's a pattern, that's a different story. I thought you were basing your conclusion on that one occurrence If you really do very stupid things that often at 100feet, you should definitely get some helium into your mixes and see if that helps.


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NEON View Post
    how do you know it is your cookie you are "feeling"?
    Well, if I come to this magical zero vis intersection that I think should be a left, my cookie is on the left, and there isn't one on the other side...I'd say its mine. Past that, I put it up to my mask and read my name on it. If the vis is so bad I can't see it, there are cookies on each side of the intersection and i don't have a clue which way to go, I can chill for a second, let this vis clear a bit, then hold it up to my mask.

    Rocket surgery, it ain't.


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    I've negotiated intersections in zero vis before. you pick up your cookie and go on about your business.
    After making sure it was your cookie (1 out of 9) you picked, not someone else's, I presume...?


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Lol, 9 divers in a silt tunnel. Right. I think you're e-diving here.

    Losing a cookie is not the end of the world, anyway. Its a dollar (a single...dollar...).



 

Similar Threads

  1. How Do You Experience Narcosis?
    By AB8CD in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 04-15-2016, 06:44 PM
  2. Too Deep, Too much Narcosis
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 10:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts