Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Remember, it's just a mechanical way to add and subtract logarithms, so if you put the left index of the slide over "2" on the bottom scale and look down the slide to "3", it will be over "6".


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Marvin has a great idea, put your slide rule in a nice wooden case, with a glass front. Keep it with your computer, with a sign, "in case of emergency, break glass"

    Last edited by FW; 11-28-2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Haines City, FL
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    However, being old enough to own a slide rule, I couldn't remember how to use it.

    Mike
    I still have a tattered old copy of Slide Rule Simplified if you need to borrow it...

    1/2
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    The last thing I ever want to do is hurt you. But it's definitely on the list.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Fast View Post
    I still have a tattered old copy of Slide Rule Simplified if you need to borrow it...
    Thanks, but I'm still working my way through through "Abacus for the Complete Idiot"!

    Mike


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Haines City, FL
    Posts
    376

    Default

    LOL! I'm an engineer and I collect old slide rules, drafting sets, math and technical books (I have an old K&E catalog from WWI), etc. I haven't added an abacus to the collection yet, though. Maybe soon...

    1/2
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    The last thing I ever want to do is hurt you. But it's definitely on the list.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Marvin has a great idea, put your slide rule in a nice wooden case, with a glass front. Keep it with your computer, with a sign, "in case of emergency, break glass"
    I have to do this! I have the perfect piece of cherry left over from another project to make the box of.

    Mike


  7. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Fast View Post
    LOL! I'm an engineer and I collect old slide rules, drafting sets, math and technical books (I have an old K&E catalog from WWI), etc. I haven't added an abacus to the collection yet, though. Maybe soon...
    I have the all important 4 fingers and a thumb counting instrument.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Fast View Post
    LOL! I'm an engineer and I collect old slide rules, drafting sets, math and technical books (I have an old K&E catalog from WWI), etc. I haven't added an abacus to the collection yet, though. Maybe soon...
    I have a translation of Newton's Principia circa 1890.


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    I know you are using the dive abacus with optional trimix sliderule.
    Please do not make fun of my series one apple computer!



    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Haines City, FL
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gasdiver View Post
    I have a translation of Newton's Principia circa 1890.
    Cool! I have several math and science books from the late 1800s, but no Principia. You are indeed blessed among geeks.

    1/2
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    The last thing I ever want to do is hurt you. But it's definitely on the list.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM
  2. SOLD: Sherwood 300 Bar mainfold & 8"x3" bands
    By Oceanus in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts