Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11

    Default Re: Line Repairs

    Quote Originally Posted by FW
    Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne
    Quote Originally Posted by kgault
    Wingman and I took a look at the line repair just prior to 2nd breakdown room; There is insufficient line to run in close to the floor where it was previously; does anyone have know a source for Kermantle (sp?-- ) line?

    Keith
    Doesn't the CDS or NACD have a system in place for supplying line to make repairs with?

    Get the boiled peanuts ready Keith, I'll be down that way on the 24th of this month 8)
    The CDS can supply goldline. What Jackson Blue needs is a "line committee" like Ginnie and Peacock have. Any volunteers?
    I have some gold line here at Cave Adventurers and would be happy to put the line in and back where it was. Edd


  2. #12

    Default Re: Line Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by kgault
    I would be willing to volunteer time to a line committee; I only live an hour south of the spring. The lines at JB are getting older and are starting to need maintenance; Third T is another spot that could use a bit more line to resecure the tieoff.

    When Pete still had his shop in Panama City, we took it upon ourselves to fix problem (keeping the line running as it was laid) and add the numbered line arrows. Having a local shop coordinate efforts would reduce duplication of effort; Ed are you willing?

    Keith
    I would be willing to be on a line committee for the caves of the Mill Pond as long as it doesn't cause any problems with all the people that were so apposed to me starting Cave Adventurers here on the Mill Pond when I first moved here. I love cavediving (which is why I moved here) but I am not so big on all the bull s#!t, I mean politics.
    Happy Diving everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edd


  3. #13

    Default Re: Line Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by cabo
    Quote Originally Posted by kgault
    I would be willing to volunteer time to a line committee; I only live an hour south of the spring. The lines at JB are getting older and are starting to need maintenance; Third T is another spot that could use a bit more line to resecure the tieoff.

    When Pete still had his shop in Panama City, we took it upon ourselves to fix problem (keeping the line running as it was laid) and add the numbered line arrows. Having a local shop coordinate efforts would reduce duplication of effort; Ed are you willing?

    Keith
    I would be willing to be on a line committee for the caves of the Mill Pond as long as it doesn't cause any problems with all the people that were so apposed to me starting Cave Adventurers here on the Mill Pond when I first moved here. I love cavediving (which is why I moved here) but I am not so big on all the bull s#!t, I mean politics.
    Happy Diving everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edd

    Edd,

    Your doing what you love. Keep it up.

    Safe Diving,

    Dwain

    Double the the Tanks, Double the run, Add a stage for more fun..... Keep on Diving.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default Re: Line Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by cabo
    I would be willing to be on a line committee for the caves of the Mill Pond as long as it doesn't cause any problems with all the people that were so apposed to me starting Cave Adventurers here on the Mill Pond when I first moved here. I love cavediving (which is why I moved here) but I am not so big on all the bull s#!t, I mean politics.
    Happy Diving everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edd
    Good point. The only way to keep peace is have a multi organizational line committee, so there aren't any "line wars" like went on in Mexico a couple of years ago.

    I will contact the NACD, and GUE and get their input. I am sure Scott Hunsucker will want some input as well.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Florida
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Is membership in other line committees restricted? We could keep ours open to all interested Cave Divers. We would probably need to have a documented standard to restrict line changing battles (Man, what a can of worms this will be); is there one that the major training agencies already agree upon? JB is already a bit off of some peoples standard with the 4 Ts, and the semi-permenant jumps; I would not want the character of JB to be changed.

    For now, how about we restrict ourselves to performing repairs that maintains the current/past mainline route. The mainline has been shrinking slowly as repairs have been made.

    Keith

    PS: Everyone have fun diving in the nice warm 68F caves, in my infinite wisdom I will be vacation diving in 42F water in the St Lawrence River.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kgault
    Is membership in other line committees restricted? We could keep ours open to all interested Cave Divers. We would probably need to have a documented standard to restrict line changing battles (Man, what a can of worms this will be); is there one that the major training agencies already agree upon? JB is already a bit off of some peoples standard with the 4 Ts, and the semi-permenant jumps; I would not want the character of JB to be changed.

    For now, how about we restrict ourselves to performing repairs that maintains the current/past mainline route. The mainline has been shrinking slowly as repairs have been made.

    Keith
    In theory, any cave diver should be able to repair a line

    You are right, repair only is the best thing to do, until an acceptable committee is formed. I agree, it should be open to anyone interested.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern KY
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,071

    Default Re: Line Committee

    Quote Originally Posted by cabo
    Quote Originally Posted by kgault
    I would be willing to volunteer time to a line committee; I only live an hour south of the spring. The lines at JB are getting older and are starting to need maintenance; Third T is another spot that could use a bit more line to resecure the tieoff.

    When Pete still had his shop in Panama City, we took it upon ourselves to fix problem (keeping the line running as it was laid) and add the numbered line arrows. Having a local shop coordinate efforts would reduce duplication of effort; Ed are you willing?

    Keith
    I would be willing to be on a line committee for the caves of the Mill Pond as long as it doesn't cause any problems with all the people that were so apposed to me starting Cave Adventurers here on the Mill Pond when I first moved here. I love cavediving (which is why I moved here) but I am not so big on all the bull s#!t, I mean politics.
    Happy Diving everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edd
    I thought the most vocal of those opponents had been quieted down long ago after taking the time to actually meet and talk to you, if not the hell with them. I think you care more about that system than anyone else that I have ever seen dive it Edd, so you would be the best choice to head up this sort of an effort. I also agree with Keith that it should be strictly repairs, let those who want to start changing lines stay in Luraville.

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

  8. #18

    Default Re: Dive JB this weekend?

    Does JB really need a line committee? If Edd is willing to make repairs, let him. The line placement is good and doesn't need changing. Just repair worn out sections.


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern KY
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,071

    Default Re: Dive JB this weekend?

    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver
    Does JB really need a line committee? If Edd is willing to make repairs, let him. The line placement is good and doesn't need changing. Just repair worn out sections.
    I think the line committee idea is more about having someone to be responsible for seeing that the line gets replaced prior to it needing to be repaired. More of a maintenance thing than anything, which is why I think Edd is the best person to head up such an effort. The last thing I want to see on the pond is the crap that got started at Peacock recently.

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

  10. #20

    Default Re: Dive JB last weekend?

    The following is by one of the divers that was shocked on the Mill Pond last weekend. An interesting read.


    A Dive To Remember

    By Chuck Noe



    The following tale is told in order to hopefully pass on some useful information that may enhance your personal longevity. These occurrences of Saturday, April 30th left me with a newfound respect for good old Mother Nature.

    While the hazards and pitfalls of cave diving are numerous, I’m a firm believer that they are manageable. In my opinion, a deliberate and logical thought process can go a long way towards leading a cave diver into old age. An attention to detail, and the unwillingness to cut corners are useful traits to have when venturing into such an inhospitable environment. Redundancy of equipment is enhanced further by redundancy of the thought processes.

    Cave divers often hear the old joke about “cave diving after dark”, and divers in general often joke about “diving in the rain”. Well I’m here to tell you that “diving in the rain” now garners more concern and respect in my mind.

    Friday night’s weather forecast called for a 25% chance of storms on Saturday, and a quick look at the TV radar Saturday morning showed storms to the northwest, in Alabama. Rob Steffen and I loaded the boat for our trip across Merritt’s Mill Pond with darkening skies, but nothing appeared too ominous at that time. In a few minutes we were tied up at the dive site where we slipped into our drysuits just before a light rain began to fall. It was actually pleasant as we traded the mid-day heat for a cool shower. We geared up, and then slipped below the surface for a relaxing hour-long dive in the nearby cave.

    The rain continued to fall as we surfaced from our dive. Clambering into the boat, we witnessed the occasional rumbling of a distant cloud-to-cloud lightning discharge. Once or twice a louder report could be heard, but there were no visible cloud-to-ground strikes occurring in our area. Still, we decided to spend the surface interval under the protective canopy of the nearby Jackson Blue pavilion.

    The weather remained uneventful as the two of us shared stories with the other divers at JB, and after an hour or so we got back into the boat and headed up the lake towards our next dive site, if you could call it that. “Indian Washtub” isn’t much more than a glorified crack in the bottom of the Mill Pond, but I had always intended to go there to poke around a bit. This seemed like a good time, so using half-spent sidemount cylinders, Rob and I secured the boat and entered the water to take a look. It was immediately obvious that we weren’t going to penetrate far with two cylinders so we surfaced briefly to discuss our plan of attack. As Rob re-submerged with a single tank, I followed him down to a depth of about 10 feet when a large bolt of cloud-to-ground lightning struck in our vicinity.

    First of all let me acknowledge that if this strike had been truly “close” to us, I probably wouldn’t be writing this story. The dangers of lightning are well known, and the act of immersing oneself in water near such a discharge is not highly recommended. In my defense, as an experienced boater I am well aware of the hazards of boating near a lightning storm, but this sudden burst caught me quite by surprise.

    The instant that the strike occurred, I was hit with a sharp, momentary shock that caused my entire body to involuntarily spasm. At the same time, I remember hearing the muffled clap of thunder. Realizing that I was unhurt, I began calling out “are you okay, are you okay” to Rob through my regulator. In that brief moment I had lost track of his whereabouts, and I couldn’t see him as I spun around in the water. I made a quick search of the bottom, which was very turbid by now, then headed for the surface. He had surfaced looking for me as well. Rob immediately asked if I was okay, and if I too had felt the strike. There was absolutely no doubt what we had experienced.

    We exited the water in record time and fired up the Swamp Yacht. As Rob and I sped towards the boat ramp we considered stopping at the local dive store dock for refuge, but there was still very little local lightning activity. So we ventured the extra half-mile to the ramp where we hurriedly trailered the boat before seeking refuge in my van. As we pulled out onto the highway we decided to drop by the dive store to check on the other divers. As Rob and I approached the open side of the shop, we found the building crowded with divers in drysuits, undergarments, and wetsuits. The first word spoken to us was the question “did you guys hear that huge lightning strike?” We (sort of) laughed before telling them what we had just experienced. Rob’s friend Bill, who we had been visiting with at the JB pavilion, said he worried about us as the lighting strike occurred in our direction shortly after we left. Everyone acknowledged the single, loud, close strike as the reason they had gathered in the dive store.

    Life’s odd experiences can be very rewarding, and in this case I will never forget the danger of sitting on the lake in an aluminum boat ANYWHERE in the vicinity of lightning. I can only attribute the favorable outcome to “good karma”, as I do my best to journey through this life with a positive attitude. Some people may simply call it “dumb luck”, and I’m okay with that as well. But in any case, be it karma or luck, I’ll never forget this particular life’s lesson.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts