Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    The grate was there the first time I dove it in 1977.


  2. #32
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lake City FL
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    This isn't the place to discuss that, GSO *will* read it here.
    yes they have


  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L.A. View Post
    Jim Lockwood installed the grate, not sure on the exact year, but Jim Wyatt proly has it right
    Lockwood, Jim Fishback, and Tom Mount, along with several others installed the damned thing in late 76 or early 77. I do not understand comments about what the cave in Jenny looks like, unless the people commenting were never in there.

    The front part of that cave is high and sandy with hard limestone walls and ceilings, and a pretty good sized room just past the flat rock on the map. We did our reel instruction in there during my cave class. There is a short, about 100 feet or so, circuit in there that Rory set up to teach tees and clip use. Outrigger clips, this was before line arrows.

    The back of the cave, past 400 feet or so on the right tunnel, gets soft and tight. The walls and bottom are bedding plain and are silty clay. The ceiling is still hard. One of the poor schmucks I pulled out of there tried to dig his way out using his bare hands. The left branch gets small quick, and at about 300' penetration, also gets soft. Doug Clark and I wormed our way back in there several times. My DLS reel held 500 feet of line, and if we tied off to the headstone going in, then we never used all of it. Of course, we were backmount with 104's and a horsecollar. There was not a permanent line in there.

    I would like to remind everyone that for many years, no one was interested in Baptizing. It's low and silty. Lots of clay. Not much to see in there. Well children, look what side mount diving by talented people has just done before you pontificate about what's in the back of Jenny.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  4. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    ...I would like to remind everyone that for many years, no one was interested in Baptizing. It's low and silty. Lots of clay. Not much to see in there. Well children, look what side mount diving by talented people has just done before you pontificate about what's in the back of Jenny.
    Don't worry, *AG* and James will open it back up ...... from Devil's Eye

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
    Attachment 3370

    Whenever I see these two guys telling me what I should or should not do, or providing lessons on morality or even instructing me on the difference between a gate and a gRate...I just can't help but think about Ace (JJ) and Gary (JahJah). BTW that's Gary on top.
    Don't worry, every time I think about male on male cartoons, I think about DonJ. glad to hear you know that the difference between gate and grate is hinges. Some people aren't as smart as you and seemed to think you could enter the system via a gate.

    Regarding what's back there, I'm not saying there isn't something interesting. I'm saying the hole on the left that you all were talking about isn't easy access. You'll be digging your way out, and that's if you could dig enough to get in in the first place, and I do t want to hear a lot of cyber divers telling me that it's easy access and they'll check it out next week. If it was that easy, people would be diving back there all the time.

    There's still plenty to be pushed at devils, I think the main reason Ginnie appeals to you is the fact that it is "forbidden."

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1987
    "But nothing gets accomplished in sidemount!"

  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    I just don't like the idea of a privately controlled resort thinking they have any right to block us from a cave.


  7. #37
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    I think the main reason Ginnie appeals to you is the fact that it is "forbidden."
    One of the strongest human impulses there is!

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    I just don't like the idea of a privately controlled resort thinking they have any right to block us from a cave.
    I agree here, just like I object to the state keeping divers out of systems. I suspect the grate was installed as a "we don't see any other way to keep stupid people from killing themselves here and we feel compelled to do something about it" for legal or moral reasons.

    I just don't see the sense trying to enter through such an unstable opening when there are still thousands of caves I have yet to see. I'd see a few more if JJ would move his big head and swim faster. He's always complaining about me holding onto him but he never wants to switch positions so I can see the cave better.

    Poor Donj, I think I ruined his insult. as a disclaimer I'm not gay (I don't even dive backmount very often!) and have no problems with JJ.

    What I'm really interested in is the downstream side of fluffy bunny tunnel. I'm small but it looks tight, and the goethite is in such good shape I wonder if someone actually fit. I don't mind trying but I'm hesitant to hurt the cave. Cave conservation is more important than my kicks and giggles.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1987
    "But nothing gets accomplished in sidemount!"

  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Age
    48
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    I'd see a few more if JJ would move his big head and swim faster. He's always complaining about me holding onto him but he never wants to switch positions so I can see the cave better.
    This is funny! Does he have such a big head? I haven't noticed...


    Quote Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior View Post
    What I'm really interested in is the downstream side of fluffy bunny tunnel. I'm small but it looks tight, and the goethite is in such good shape I wonder if someone actually fit. I don't mind trying but I'm hesitant to hurt the cave. Cave conservation is more important than my kicks and giggles.
    There is also a nice, tight whole called "Honey Rabbit" at Silversides Cay Sal... Check the map (http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com...ebluehole.html). My SO named it for me, but it is 515 ft under so I cannot go see that, you may want to check it out. Where is that bunny hole btw???


    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    I would like to remind everyone that for many years, no one was interested in Baptizing. It's low and silty. Lots of clay. Not much to see in there. Well children, look what side mount diving by talented people has just done before you pontificate about what's in the back of Jenny.
    I personally leave the big exploration for divers worthier than me and less of woosie than I am. I like to do support though.. I just do exploration in my research during the day job, during my cave diving, I like to enjoy other people's exploration, as long as it abides to land owner rules.

    Xenia, a.k.a. Local Zip Code Diver

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Haines City, FL
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Don't worry, *AG* and James will open it back up ...... from Devil's Eye
    LOL!

    I can just picture someone swimming into Ginnie and going to the grate to find a new line tied off on the grate and running back into the cave, complete with one of Agnes' line arrows.

    Better yet, imagine some poor OW diver at the grate when Agnes and James swim up from the other side...

    1/2
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    The last thing I ever want to do is hurt you. But it's definitely on the list.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Gate Check In on New Year's Eve
    By connielore in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 11:50 AM
  2. Off the line beyond the gate
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 12:04 PM
  3. vortex gate
    By wingman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
  4. Jet fins left at Ballroom prk.
    By ARY in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 06:04 PM
  5. Waynes World Gate Install
    By Tegg in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 11:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts