Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 72
  1. #31
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    The only real objection I have is they are RE-naming something after him. Peacock Springs State Park already has a name.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    not that I care one way or the other what they name the park
    You basically summed up my feelings.

    The High Springs Commission had a meeting RE vampire sink, and looks like they're going to do something for him as well
    http://highspringsblog.com/2010/08/2...eting-results/

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Richmond, TX
    Age
    64
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Wow, Kinda sad. I'm finding it interesting the impressions I am getting of some of you that I dont even know yet. Hats off to a great diver. Kudos on any remembrances that are afforded him. Shoulda been left there. My opinion.


  4. #34
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpiov View Post
    I'm finding it interesting the impressions I am getting of some of you that I dont even know yet.
    I feel Wes was just about the greatest ambassador cave diving has ever had. Moreso than Sheck, because of the way he presented the plight of the aquifer to the masses. But renaming a state park that has had its name for years and years? I doubt people will start calling it anything other than just "Peacock."

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  5. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South side of Lake Ontario
    Age
    56
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpiov View Post
    Wow, Kinda sad. I'm finding it interesting the impressions I am getting of some of you that I dont even know yet. Hats off to a great diver. Kudos on any remembrances that are afforded him. Shoulda been left there. My opinion.
    Those that expressed their objectionable opinions did so NOT because they didnt like Wes, as you can see some have known him longer then some have been alive on this board. Its not about the person its about the fact that there has been plenty of well known cavers who have contributed just as much or more and more specifically contributed more to Peacock Springs, yet they aren't recognized in the same manner as Wes. So dont dislike someone because they dont agree or didnt agree with the majority. They have very valid points. Look at the big picture, dont get tunnel vision.

    Most of the original explorers of caves in Florida dont have their names on them and they died too.

    I dont see a reason to name the cave after Wes, he can never be forgotten, his pictures, his movies, thats his legacy in my opinion from a non family member, I'm just another cave diver with lots of opinions.


  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    None of the caves are being named after Wes...

    Just the name of a park... and its more of an addition than a complete change regardless.


  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South side of Lake Ontario
    Age
    56
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    None of the caves are being named after Wes...

    Just the name of a park... and its more of an addition than a complete change regardless.
    My bad you're right, it isnt the cave its the entire state park.


  8. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    41
    Posts
    313

    Default

    I think people are looking at this all wrong. As mentioned it should not (and does not in my opinion) detract from any of the other great divers that have passed. There ARE things named after many of them, (Sheck was mentioned, you can get the Sheck Exley safe cave diving award for example). It is not a competition who gets what named after them when they are gone. Instead this should serve as a tribute to the man that Wes was and more importantly, the influence that he will remain. When people enter the park and see his name on the sign just maybe they will think about the conservation of the springs a little more than they would have just seeing "Peacock". If this is the case for even a few people, this was a good decision in my book and a great tribute for someone who worked so hard to preserve these natural treasures for generations to come.


  9. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Well, I also object.

    Why not "Exley Springs State Park"? Sheck did more to advance cave diving than Wes ever thought of.
    Why not "Ron Simmons Springs State Park"?
    Berman Springs State park? (How about Berman Springs Outdoors?)
    Holtzendorf Springs State Park? (Actually, probably should rename Wakulla to this)
    Hell, "Bill Hurst Springs State Park"? At least poor Bill drowned in Peacock.
    They did not even rename a locker room at UF "Paul Meng Memorial Locker Room"
    There is not a "Martz Blue Hole" in the Bahamas.
    There is no "Rouse Wreck"

    I knew Wes a long time, over 30 years, but that is no reason to change the name of a park for him. This is politically correct bullcrap.
    Excellent point. Agreed.

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  10. #40

    Default

    Good to see that Florida pays a tribute to honor the "Advocate of the Aquifer" but the situation at the park is getting a little "complicated", at least for newbies or people with no background information, concerning there is a Sheck Exley memorial already
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7595 - Kopie.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	3319  



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts