Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 14 of 14
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    jacksonville FL
    Posts
    396

    Default Re: Olympus 5050

    Quote Originally Posted by cavdiver2
    I use a 5050 with a L&M housing and a sea & sea 90 strobe. I just got back from Saba and got some great shots. I would of had more but I need some help with strobe settings. I would have to say it's a great kit.


    Norm I'd like to meet up with you at ginnie sometime to get some help and with my set up.

    Michael McDonald
    NACD Publications
    PM sent

    nhb

    Quisquam dignitas effectus est dignitas super effectus

    "This e-mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are considered flaws or defects."

  2. #12
    Genesis
    Guest

    Default

    I shoot more video than stills, but I too have a Sony P150 and love the thing. For a small camera it takes amazing stills, and the video mode isn't bad either.

    The only downside is the backscatter problem due to the internal flash.

    Shutter lag is almost non-existant which is a REALLY big deal. Compared to the Oly 5050, which I have also used, its a dream. Olympus makes some very nice cameras but the shutter lag can be a real drag underwater.


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    jacksonville FL
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    I shoot more video than stills, but I too have a Sony P150 and love the thing. For a small camera it takes amazing stills, and the video mode isn't bad either.

    The only downside is the backscatter problem due to the internal flash.

    Shutter lag is almost non-existant which is a REALLY big deal. Compared to the Oly 5050, which I have also used, its a dream. Olympus makes some very nice cameras but the shutter lag can be a real drag underwater.
    Even as a devoted OLY user, this is PAINFULLY true...any 8080 users out there who have seen improvements in this?

    Norm

    Quisquam dignitas effectus est dignitas super effectus

    "This e-mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are considered flaws or defects."

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    jacksonville FL
    Posts
    396

    Default Re: Thanks for your input

    Quote Originally Posted by j.k.jetton
    Thanks to everyone for your contributions, I have added your input to my still ongoing search and will report back the end results,


    Hey Norm,
    thanks for your reply and input ...on the advice of my "guru" community, I have expanded my camera search beyond the walls of Canon, into Olympus and since you seem to be pleased with their products i thought i would bounce this question off of you...I am now looking at the C-8080 and the Wide angle lense capabilities astound me...I am even considering adding the wide angle conversion lense and Ikelite dome port to accomodate even a wider angle ( the kelp forest here in so. Calif. really demands a wide angle lense, not to mention my annual July trip to Cozumel): here is a link :

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...*&shs=WCON-08D

    My budget has expanded abit and by the time i add a couple of big memory cards ( 1 GB I guess would be appropriate) I will spend about 2000.00 which will be tight , but I don't mind, if i wind up with something that i won't regret 18 months from now when a newer better thing comes along...

    One concern: the Ikelite housing, good down to 200 feet (that is my current limit with deco...trimix being at least a couple of years off) does not allow for use of the built in flash, committing me to always use my external flash...which could be prohibitive for a casual drift dive with my wife on vacation when i don't want to be quite so encumbered...what is your imput regarding that? Do you miss being able to just grab the housing and hop in without the added complications of using the external flash, or am i just being lazy...I look forward to your further input, thanks, Kyle,


    [email protected]
    JK,

    my 2 cents (OK, 10 cents)...

    Counterpoints:

    a 1 gig CF card should be OK IF you travel (like me) WITH a laptop and download nightly...the last big UW trip I did was using a single .5 gig card; I shoot in hirez JPG, and got about 170 exposures on it over 3 tanks/1 day and night...if you are NOT d/l'ing, yeah maybe two cards BUT be sure you have a static-free way of transporting the card not in the camera...if you end up shooting RAW, you WILL need multiples!

    Although I am an unabashed OLY fan from way back, the thing that pushed me into the 5050 was simply the numbers of them in service, and the resulting plethora of tips and tricks available...There MAY be better non-DSLRs out there, but I don't see them being touted...look at "Steve's Digital Reviews" on the www; he has VERY objective stuff to be viewed...don't know much about the 8080; as I said, if I had to do it over, I'd go with the 5060 for better WA lens...which leads to:

    Consider NOT getting the outside WA port at first...work the learning curve with the OEM stuff first...K.I.S.S. at the beginning...<g> As to the flash, consider starting with the DS-50 strobe, auto slave controller or TTL cord, and simple arm...it is not THAT bulky...a LOT easier to handle at first than the 125.
    In short, less gear at first, get your arms ALL the way around the basics, THEN accessorize...

    AND, by ALL means, get Top-notch NiMhs and chargers...my personal choice is the Maha line...they now have 2500 mAh AA's...the earlier 1 day 170 exposure dive set was done on ONE set of 2300's...I have a hard and fast rule: NO OPENING of Camera/Strobe while on the boat...WAIT for the Motel!!!

    I worked at first with the internal strobe only, and while it WILL get proper exposures, it causes backscatter unless the vis is gin-clear...

    Have you looked at Wetpixel and Digideep for alternate opinions?

    and sure, public post! there are some DYNAMITE UW shooters here!!

    Norm

    Quisquam dignitas effectus est dignitas super effectus

    "This e-mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are considered flaws or defects."


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts