Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Long Valley NJ
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I actually listened to "shadow divers" during my runs on my MP3 player. I never knew them...And nobody on the street that day understood while I was running and sobbing at the same time. Thanks for mentioning the anniversary, and keeping life in perspective.


  2. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam0321 View Post
    I think thats a little morbid. you should see if the cave diving museum will give ou anthing for them.
    Hey, I got to dive Ron Simmon's tanks and was honored for the opportunity. I even took 'em to Roppel, though I sadly didn't get to dive them there.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  3. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    When you finish Shadow Divers, pick up The Last Dive.
    I was walking through Borders a few years ago and saw a book that looked like a picture of JB by Wes on the cover (it was). I bought it, and took it to bed for my just-before-falling-asleep read. I skipped to the end and had NIGHTMARES that night. I've never been able to pick it up and read the whole book after that. I should just read it when it's not before bed and with the whole lead up.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lake Havasu. AZ
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Again Joel, thanks for reminding us.

    On another note, I'm disappointed you didn't get to swing over to Jackson Blue after the trip. I was going to bring Chris and Chrissy's Teknas to make my annual dive on them with you.
    I would have liked to, but I had pulled off the Shark Night 3D production and had to get back. Next time.

    thanks
    JDS

    Joel Silverstein, VP, COO
    Tech Diving Limited

    you need to reach me ?
    text to 928-230-3680

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hammond,La
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    When you finish Shadow Divers, pick up The Last Dive. It doesn't have quite the sensationalism of Shadow Divers, but it really makes you think about the type of diving you're doing.
    I will have to check it out!


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Geneva Indiana
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Hello mccoy, RN "Rob" is so very right about The Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury! It is a must read for many reasons the greatest being self evaluation and applying good judgement. It will sober you up in a hurry and bring you into acute focus on the gravity of the choices we make while doing advanced / overhead dives.
    Not only did it make me think but add more safety checks on my dive plans and gear.
    It made me preview the dives I was planning and the possible issues "What ifs" and if I could not adequately solve them, I changed the plan.
    Conservatism rules the day and if something feels wrong it is! Time to abort or go back to the planning process.

    On a separate note my diving mentor actually did his Itro dives with a set of 120's that used to be Chrissy Rouse's tanks.
    He has since told me that it was a little strange but not at all unnerving!
    I find it to be a piece of gear that reminds us to be safe and dive on in place of those who have passed before us.
    There is no better memorial than to be a part of the past, present, and future of the sport we love!
    JCG


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    I've been diving in a set of 85s that used to belong to the Rouses'.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  8. #18

    Default

    I don't re-read books very often but these two, (Shadow Divers and The Last Dive); I seem to every couple of years.


  9. #19

    Default

    I have a half-hood whose previous owner expired while wearing it. Pulling it over my head is among the last things that I do before I gently slip below and it serves as a tiny meditative moment that reminds me of the consequences of pushing my luck. It's funny how gear can seem to carry that kind of energy.


  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    654

    Default

    I own a piece of gear from my old dive buddy who died while cave diving, and cherish it when I strap it on.

    deepblue



 

Similar Threads

  1. New Years?
    By Scott in forum Cave Diving Events, Socials, Workshops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 09:39 PM
  2. Sixteen Years ......
    By JS1scuba in forum Memorials
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 01:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts