Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default When is sidemount necessary????

    I would like to hear some thoughts on when it is necessary to stop pushing backmount and go sidemount. Sidemount is in my plans, but not there yet.

    I dive a rEvo rebreather and am fairly skinny. I can get a lot of places that an OC sidemount diver with a beer gut can't go (like Jug Hole).

    If the conditions are rocky or such, then I have less concern for damaging the cave floor, but when clay or silt is there it is a different story.

    Where do you draw the line on exploration and conservation?

    Siltouts are not really a big concern, but if it is going to get someones panties in a bunch then maybe i need to rethink.

    Flame suit is on - ready for replies!


  2. #2
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Never. If backmount can't go through the passage, it shouldn't be explored.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36 View Post
    I dive a rEvo rebreather and am fairly skinny. I can get a lot of places that an OC sidemount diver with a beer gut can't go (like Jug Hole).
    You get through this with a rebreather?....it's so pretty, why?



    If I'm going to damage the cave in BM, I dive SM. I don't really understand why anyone would want to plow through a cave.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    You get through this with a rebreather?....it's so pretty, why?



    If I'm going to damage the cave in BM, I dive SM. I don't really understand why anyone would want to plow through a cave.
    I can get through the bedding plan but not the diamond restriction. I go very slow and carefully and do not damage the cave.
    The reason why is "it's so pretty".

    Please understand that I do not "plow" through anywhere. I turn my dive if it is going to get too tight or messy. I just want to know how others determine what is ""Too Tight or Messy"" (sexual jokes will come from that, I am sure)


  5. #5
    mfascuba
    Guest

    Default

    I usually dive back mount, but if I come to a passage that I can't get through either by estimation or trial and failure, I exit - come back with a sidemount rig. Don't beat it up - the cave will tell you if it's too restrictive, go home and come back with the right stuff.

    Mark


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36 View Post
    I would like to hear some thoughts on when it is necessary to stop pushing backmount and go sidemount.
    When the ceiling is low
    and back mount just won't go
    try sidemount

    When the passage is small
    and your tanks are too tall
    try sidemount

    If your tanks are too big
    and you might have to dig
    try sidemount

    When your knees are for s**t
    but you don't want to quit
    try sidemount

    Dont forget,
    If its really, really tight
    No-Mount is allright

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    When the ceiling is low
    and back mount just won't go
    try sidemount

    When the passage is small
    and your tanks are too tall
    try sidemount

    If your tanks are too big
    and you might have to dig
    try sidemount

    When your knees are for s**t
    but you don't want to quit
    try sidemount

    Dont forget,
    If its really, really tight
    No-Mount is allright
    Is it sung to the tune of "Downtown"

    Petula Clark was kinda hot... "Was" is of course the word given she is easily old enough to be my mother...but it is still a great song.


  8. #8
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DA Aquamaster View Post
    Is it sung to the tune of "Downtown"?
    Dude. 775 and 663 are NOT compatible!

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #9

    Default

    When you've got a gut
    and don't want to make a rut
    Try sidemount.

    Trying to make the switch to 50/50 sidemount/BM but still using BM more often.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Bwaha take the tanks off your back and I can show you more clear stuff.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chemuyil, Mexico
    Age
    57
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    Never. If backmount can't go through the passage, it shouldn't be explored.
    ROTFL



 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 06:39 PM
  3. NB sidemount
    By jeffersonwsm in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 05:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts