Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okinawa JP
    Posts
    1,758

    Default what to do when..

    So i never really learned this one. what do you do when you are diving solo and you cant seem to stop running into a intro class with three studs. then on the way they grap you thinking its there lost instructor?


  2. #2

    Default

    Play dead and really freak them out?


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Hmmmm, interesting dilemma. If you're being pestered by other divers, are you really solo diving? I mean, sure their not you're "buddy(ies)" but would you refuse their assistance if needed?

    I liked Dsix's response...I tried that many, many times. But the ONE time it actually worked.....they were not amused. I was, but they weren't.

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okinawa JP
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    I plastered myself to the celing when there instructor was right at the start of double line. (JB) the came up and grabbed my fin. I took there hands and put it on my dry suit. the instructor was wearing a wet suit. and I had a stage on me. to make matters worse they did and out of air drill that took so long I was ready to go down ad give the instructor my reg but then he ripped it out of there mouths


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    Signal a lights out drill then turn off your light. When they turn out thier lights sneak away.

    Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam0321 View Post
    I plastered myself to the celing when there instructor was right at the start of double line. (JB) the came up and grabbed my fin. I took there hands and put it on my dry suit. the instructor was wearing a wet suit. and I had a stage on me. to make matters worse they did and out of air drill that took so long I was ready to go down ad give the instructor my reg but then he ripped it out of there mouths
    Clearly they're in training and having issues. I think the clear answer here is you help however you can to calm them down. We were all new once.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okinawa JP
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo View Post
    Signal a lights out drill then turn off your light. When they turn out thier lights sneak away.
    signal a lights out drill. I never got a d..n signal when we were doing a lights out drill in my class


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okinawa JP
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    . We were all new once.
    some people have clearly forgotten this


  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    When I was first getting practiced up at cave diving, I got confused by another team. I'd like to think I wouldn't do that anymore.

    Do you not have a slate? You could write, "I'm not your instructor--just a solo diver" on it.

    A year or so ago, I was playing buddy to a guy taking his full cave class. He was doing a lost line drill in Devil's. I was hovering at the ceiling, waiting. Another team sped through. They had no idea I was up there. I ***so*** wanted to grab the fin on the last person, but knew my reputation would go down the toilet when I instigated a heart attack or drowning due to startling of another cave diver. But I really wanted to!

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    If this is the class I'm thinking of, how did they mistake YOU for their instructor? No offense to anyone, but you have quite a different build.

    This reminds me of when I did a lost buddy drill with a class and a few seconds later 3 more sidemount divers in white tanks showed up. I think all 3 divers were blinded by my students' lights while they were trying to figure out if I was among them. I was busy clearing my mask from laughing at my wonderful luck in having that happen at that exact moment! Even funnier was that I watched the entire thing and they still didn't find me until I was ready for them to!!!

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts