Thanks for the input everyone.
I thought about this question for a while before posting a reply. If O2 is available, nitrox should be available as well. I'd skip the 100% and dive an enriched air mix that would extend your NDL. In typical recreational diving the aluminum 80 is a great cylinder - the diver runs out of air at about the same rate that they run out of no-stop time. This is a generalization, but I've seen that it pretty much holds true, especially in places like the Keys. So boost the O2 content of the breathing gas, extend the NDL, your limiting factor will be volume (and the patience of the boat captain and other divers), your margin of safety is greatly increased. If you want "belt & suspenders" take an O2 bottle on the boat as was suggested for surface application if you exit and feel any issues might be coming along.
Mark
It is a Bad idea to add UNNESSARY complexity to ANY dive. In this case you are talking about recreational level diving. In particular, the requirement to limit your inert gas loading to under the No Required Decompression Stop limit. There are many techniques available to the recreational level diver to minimize DCS risk.
Mentioned above:
Proper hydration
Appropriate EAN mix
Paying attention to profile
extending safety stops
Some others:
Proper ascent and Descent rates.
Extending surface intervals
Arranging repetitive dives, deepest to shallowest
While these strategys certainly lack the "cool factor" of breathing 100% o2, they will better accomplish your goal of safe diving. Acccepting this logic is a beginning step to developing the "proper attitude" needed in technical diving. A quick scan of the threads dealing with the recent tradgedies will show the danger of a bad attitude.
Last edited by billybones519; 08-27-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling
John Naschek
Canton Georgia
I agree with BigBob that a 50% mix would be better. Alot less chance of taking an O2 hit, and you've got a bailout gas. With that said, I've seen about 300 people take an Oxygen Tolerance test 60' on 100% for 30 minutes and I've never seen a hit.
Since you are going to take Adv EANx or Deco proc you will be allowed to use O2 at deco..? I'm not sure I understand your question!!?
In terms of newish deco experience it's a lot already as Adv EAnx allows you 15' deco. With back gas at 36/32% and 50% at deco you are just fine!
More time and you are into proper tec diving!
![]()
Jason
___________
www.essentialscubatraining.com
YouTube Channel: EssentialScuba
Facebook: Cave Diving Permanent Line and Markers Issues
Good one, but I'm guessing he's talking about people who live in areas where fill stations won't fill O2 without you showing some certification card.
Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.
Bookmarks