Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    93

    Default Using O2 on NDL dives

    I have been thinking of taking an Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures class, but not for the most obvious reason of doing decompression dives (although I will do limited deco dives after completing the class). The biggest reason I would like to take it would be to also use 100% O2 on some of my recreationally deeper OW dives and to use after intro level dives (another class I will soon be taking). I wanted to use the 100% O2 during my safety stop for five minutes at 15 to 18 ffw/fsw.

    The reason I want to do this is to add to my personal safety. I figure that if I am not pushing my NDL times and use 100% O2 on my safety stop of five minutes that I would really add to my safety by flushing out excess nitrogen from my system. I have heard of and know someone who has developed DCS even though others who were diving with them and had similar profiles were just fine. I just wanted to present this to tech/cave divers who regularly use 100% O2 and see what your opinions were on using O2 on NDL dives. Do you think it would add to safety or just be a total waste of money?

    ***please note that I only plan on doing this after being properly trained*****


  2. #2

    Default

    When cave diving I often breathe O2 at 20, then 15 feet. I like 2 or 3 minutes at 20 feet, and then 5 minutes at 15 feet. This is on dives where I stayed within the no deco limits. When I do incur a decompression obligation I like to stay at 15 feet on O2 for an additional 5 minutes. I don't do it on every dive, but I try to do it more often than not. Oxygen is relatively inexpensive. I also try to keep an eye on ascent rates during the dive, it is pretty easy to follow the contour of the cave and ascend too rapidly.

    Mark Vlahos


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Moultrie, Georgia
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    I use an O2 bottle on many of my cave dives where I do not expect deco. Exceptions may be a dive in PI - Peanut or Twin Caves but that may change depending on dive plans for the day. I also use an O2 bottle for some deeper recreational wreck dives such as the Spiegel Grove.

    Have fun with your class.

    Safe diving,

    Sandy Robinson

  4. #4
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    I did a LOT of reading during the year Cave Diving: Articles and Opinions was being put together. Not just the articles that made it into the book, but many that didn't.

    There is a theory that is coming around concerning the overuse of oxygen. I wish I could give citations, but I don't have them handy. Suffice it to say that some people feel that the body doing O2 at 1.6 is not a good thing over time.

    I no longer even bring oxygen into the water unless I expect more than ten minutes of deco. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Walter, I use O2 when it's required. If the dive I'm doing requires decompression, I will breathe O2. I will typically breathe it for the required amount of time plus an extra minute for every 5 minutes of required decompression at 20ft. I almost always add 3 minutes to every decompression less than 15 minutes. However, I don't breathe O2 if it's a no decompression dive. There's nothing wrong with doing it. It just hasn't seemed necessary to me. If you're doing a short dive in Twin, I don't see the point. If you're fighting the flow in JB, it might not be a bad idea. You have to evaluate each dive individually.

    The incident you're referring to had a lot of other factors play into it. I was given the opportunity to review the profiles. One of the main things was a very liberal dive computer. Another was the saw tooth profiles caused by following the marine life.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  6. #6
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cocoa Beach
    Posts
    583

    Default

    I got bent doing an OW dive within NDL limits (barely within) that breathing O2 at 15 ft would probably have prevented. That being said, I still don't bother with O2 on NDL dives, I just spend more time at the 15 - 20 ft stop and hydrate better, which I think is more important. I don't think there is anything particularly bad about using O2 on NDL dives, and I know several people who do it regularly. Personally, I just don't think it makes much difference for properly conducted NDL dives.

    Bob K

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    IMHO being well hydrated would be better "insurance" for NDL dives as opposed to uinsg O2. I'm not knocking the use of O2 but I think there are an awful lot of divers that don't take a serious look at their pre dive fluid intake.

    My first chamber ride was after a NDL recreationl dive. Looking at it after the fact I was probably pretty dehydrated and more than likely the primary cause of me taking a hit.

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    918

    Default

    For an NDL dive breathing O2 on the surface would provide a better safety benefit without the risk of O2 tox and drowning. It is also warmer, drier and more convienient than carrying an O2 bottle into the water. O2 at <=1.0 ATA is considerably less toxic to the body than O2 at 1.6.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    94

    Default

    For single NDL dives or very long surface intervals, I try to bring O2 along for emergency purposes, but don't take it into the water with me. I just ascend very slowly for the last 10 meters and have a good stop every single time.

    For heavy repetitive diving, I like breathing it at around 1.3 ATA for a few minutes after every dive - I feel more fresh that way in the evening. I agree that hydration and physical fitness are probably more important, though.


  10. #10

    Default

    50% makes more since for ndl dives in my opinion. Plus it provides for more of a bailout depth window if you have an OOA situation.



 

Similar Threads

  1. jb dives
    By wingman in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 08:34 AM
  2. Best dives in florida
    By bob1577 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 05:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts