There is a big difference between an o2 tolerance test in a chamber and o2 exposure while diving.
Yup, I know, but not as big as the difference in diving 15' on O2 in the water and diving 100% at 60' in the chamber.
Point is, one is SIGNIFICANTLY more risky than the other. And on the riskier dive, i've never seen a hit, in 300+ people.
I wouldn't recommend using O2 on the surface post dive. If I see someone breathing O2 on the surface, I'm going to offer to call an ambulance or get DAN on the phone for them.
If i've got a long hike to or from the water, like at Friedman, I'll breathe O2 for the hike. It seems to help. Might be all in my head.
I have, not exactly that drive, but Cave Country to Orlando, absolutely.
if ( $clue == 'none' ) { read ( sig & avatar rules | forum rules ) && search ( forums | google ) }
if ( $answer == 0 ) { post->question }
Running a dive to the NDL limits has a slightly higher risk of DCS than a dive that required only a short amount of decompression time and that time is completed. Supplementing a full no-stop dive with an elevated oxygen content mix is quite helpful.
For example. (using USN tables for discussion)
Let's say you do a 90 foot dive for 45 min using EAN 32. This gives on USN a no stop time of approx 45 minutes. And you cannot fly after this dive for 12 hours. If we add in just 5 minutes of breathing 100% oxygen at 15 feet the divers new "ceiling" is now 4000 foot mean sea level (or can ascend up 4000') extend that 5 minutes to 10 minutes and now the new ceiling is 5000'. Do the same profile and use EAN 50 instead of 100% and your new post dive ceiling is only 3000'. (logical).
If you get out of the water and breath 100% oxygen for 10 minutes on the surface after a 5 min air surface interval (getting out of gear) and you can push the ceiling up to 4000' msl. (similar result)
I've long been a proponent of "padding with gas" adding a little oxygen after the schedule has been completed or after the dive computer has cleared. The benefits are clear when it can be done in a benign environment.
Consider it oxygen as a prophylactic.
Cheers
Bookmarks