Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Guest

    Default Re: Hammerhead

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK
    Is the Hammerhead's dive computer any better than the VR3 or He ?
    The Hammerhead was designed to control a CCR (Closed Circuit Rebreather) and it costs more than twice as much ($2,995.00, plus shipping) as the other trimix computers. It comes with a rebreather head and two handsets, one primary and a secondary. The primary has a built in trimix computer, which gets input from the three oxygen sensors, and a pressure sensor, to calculate and display decompression information.

    The stand alone computer functionality was designed for the ability to use it on an open circuit dive, because it contains your prior decompression information. It can be used as a bailout computer if you have a problem with your CCR.

    The hammerhead's trimix computer currently uses Buhlmann with Gradient Factors for it's decompression model. It allows you to set the high and low settings for the Gradient Factor model, so you can tweak your decompression model. Kevin J. is planning on implementing other deco algorithms in the future in order to give users of the Hammerhead® a wide choice of decompression profiles.

    The Hammerhead eats batteries very quickly! It not only has to calculate decompression, it also has to control a solenoid to inject oxygen. Another factor to consider is the foot print. It's bigger than the other computers.

    If you own a CCR, then a Hammerhead is an option. If not, get a VR3, HydroSpace Explorer or a NiTek He.


  2. #12

    Default

    I use a VR3 almost every week. At first I thought it would be hard to learn. However, I did not find that to be the case. It tells you what post (or both) to push for a function and whether it is a short push or a long push. I can't see where it can get any easier. However, if you do not dive very often I can see where you might forget where something is (e.g., temperature graph, O2 analyzer, etc).

    My buddy got his upgraded to a color screen. It is easier to read and uses the unused pixels on the border of the LCD so you end up with significant real estate gains. I know VR3 is working on the ability to upgrade it via a web connection (etc.) so they are listening to their customers and did think the deisgn out (flash).

    I did look long and hard at the HSE before I bought my VR3 but just liked the usabilty of the VR3 better. For comparison I have found that the VR3 deco profiles closely match that of V-Planner with a conservative setting of +2. This is total runtime not stops.

    Just my .02¢


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Valdosta,Ga
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Go with the V-R3

    (All give some, Some give ALL . Semper Fi) Safe Diving (JAMMER)

  4. #14
    Guest

    Default Re: Hammerhead Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyduck
    Just a thought- Hammerhead is about to go through a revision, there a lots… of these units being replaced! Hummm, what are they going to do with all of the old units?!!!
    Kevin J. upgrades the electronics (adds things to the circuit board). The Rev. C design will include metal housings for the handsets.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Keller, Tx
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: Hammerhead Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyduck
    Just a thought- Hammerhead is about to go through a revision, there a lots… of these units being replaced! Hummm, what are they going to do with all of the old units?!!!
    Kevin J. upgrades the electronics (adds things to the circuit board). The Rev. C design will include metal housings for the handsets.
    Sorry for any confusion. ....

    With the present value of the Pound Sterling to the Dollar (Ouch 1.85 to the Pound) you about doubling the price of English products.
    Plus, is there a repair location in the US? Last I hear it was a trip to the UK and then to Hong Kong. (Yeow!)

    HS is US product, and Gene is in Florida.
    To all accouts I have heard he is very easy to work with and an outstanding company. Plus, it is the only full blown RGBM profile that I know of.

    Diverite is an excellent product and for all accounts is great. I have sold about three of the HE models when I was helping out at a dive shop (no longer.) Shame they discontinued the NitekIII.
    THe HE really needs a new screen after the release of the seiko product- Nitek Duo but that is just my opinion.

    Andrew


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default I got another

    Question, Duck, you talked about the price with the pound to dollar rate, but the HS is at least $100 bucks more from all the info I have found.
    I would love to buy American but come on lets see a better price. I don't think I'll be getting a Rebreather any time soon so that capability really is not a factor. TriMix is Definitely on the horizon.


  7. #17
    Guest

    Default Re: VR3 / HydroSpace Explorer

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyduck
    With the present value of the Pound Sterling to the Dollar (Ouch 1.85 to the Pound) you about doubling the price of English products. Plus, is there a repair location in the US? Last I hear it was a trip to the UK and then to Hong Kong. (Yeow!)
    I don't know about a repair location for the VR3 in the US. The external oxygen sensor port reading isn't working right on my VR3, so it needs to go back to the UK (I think they get fixed in the UK). It jumps to very high (unrealistic values) with and without an external oxygen sensor connected. The last problem / upgrade cost me about $400. The VR3 is an excellent trimix computer. It's based upon ProPlanner, but a VPM model should be released in the summer.

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyduck
    HS is US product, and Gene is in Florida.
    To all accouts I have heard he is very easy to work with and an outstanding company. Plus, it is the only full blown RGBM profile that I know of.
    Andrew
    Gene M. lives in Saint Augustine, Florida. He services the HS Explorers in his workshop at his house. I had a problem with a capacitor on my older HS Explorer. He fixed it, for free, right in front of me at his house. He knows his stuff. I have since upgraded my HS Explorer to the latest model with an external oxygen sensor port.

    I think the best way to evaluate these computers is to see them in person. It's nice to be able to push the buttons, to see how they work. I put some links to the simulators and manuals in the Blog. Check out the manuals to see how to operate the simulators.


  8. #18

    Default Re: Computers

    Quote Originally Posted by BillBowden
    . I don't know when you'd use 7 gases on a single dive
    Probably never. But when I dive with buddies who use different deco mixes than me I program their mixes into slots 4 & 5 and 6 & 7 -- That way if I need their gas for deco its programmed in already.

    Jim Wyatt
    Cavediveflorida

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    jacksonville FL
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jammer
    Go with the V-R3
    Jammer,

    Next time I see you at Ginnie, how about giving me a show on the VR...

    Norm

    Quisquam dignitas effectus est dignitas super effectus

    "This e-mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are considered flaws or defects."


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts