Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default Drysuit seals protectorant

    I took my leaking drysuit to Steve Gamble yesterday for repairs. During our discussion of my leaking neck seal he recommended putting a UV protectorant on the seals once a month. He said doing so will double the life the seals. He suggested McNett UV Tech but said 303 Aerospace Protectant is pretty much the same thing. Anyone use these products? Is one better than another?

    He also asked me how I stored my drysuit. I said I know keeping it in a dark, room temperature place is important but I had read contrasting opinions on how to store it--hanging or folded in the bag. He said is should be stored folded in a bag, not hung up. What's you experience with drysuit life when it has been hung vs folded?

    Scott Coupland
    Oviedo (Orlando), FL

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Scott,

    I've been using the 303 Aerospace Protectant for my drysuit latex seals about 4 years now. I apply it every 5 or 6 dives to all of the seal and think it does a good job of protecting the seals. Keeping the seals away from ozone producers like electric fan motors makes a big difference as well. When you stretch your seal to inspect it and you see that jagged sawtooth edge, it's time to trim that away. This is when a bottleneck seal has an advantage over a cone seal: you have more trimming area while still maintaining the integrity. I also believe that the latex Si Tech/Viking uses for their seals is superior to most other brands as far as longevity is concerned.

    I store my drysuits folded up, the zipper unzipped with the teeth oriented outward, wrist seals folded inside the sleeves for protection, and in the carry bag. I also use McNett's Zip Tech zipper lubricant on both sides of the zipper per Steve's guidance. He does great work, charges a fair price, gives excellent advice and is a super nice guy.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LA, CA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    My experience is that Gamble knows more about drysuits than I ever will. if he says it, I'd believe it.

    Andrew Ainslie

    Almost extinct cave diver

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Age
    52
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Hello

    I would be afraid to keep neoprene fold in the bag. Thanks to share the UV protection, I’ll try this.

    Poppol


  5. #5
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    He does great work, charges a fair price, gives excellent advice and is a super nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by aainslie View Post
    My experience is that Gamble knows more about drysuits than I ever will. if he says it, I'd believe it.
    Absolutely.

    On the other hand, I wonder if he's recommending we put this stuff on the seals to protect them from us. The stuff we put on the latex during the day-to-day use.

    I never put talc or KY or any of that stuff on my seals - I only use a spray of five parts water to one part baby shampoo. And after every dive trip I wash my entire drysuit in a soak of several drops of Woolite in five gallons of water. And I get four or five years (maybe 300 dives) out of a set of seals.

    (I hang my suit in my workshop for a day to dry, then store it folded loosely in a Rubbermaid tub.)

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  6. #6

    Default

    I put talc on my seals after drying them after each dive day or dive trip. I never use any other type of seal saver and I also seem to be getting 4 to 6 years out of my seals as well. I have about 2.5 years on the newest suit and the seals are still fine, but with the high levels of ozone in the DC area, I suspect I will only get 4 years out of them rather than the extra year or two I came to expect out in one of the cleaner air states. (I've been here 3 years and still can't belive people breathe this ****.)

    I have always kept my dry suits rolled and in a bag. The exception here have been neoprene dry suits that I loosely fold and stored in a large black garbage bag on a shelf. Back when I had an off season, I'd store my dry suits in sealed garbage bag inside the regular bag to reduce contact with ozone etc.

    I think the a big seal killers in addition to ozone are skin oils, sun tan lotion, bug spray, etc. so it makes sense to wash the seals in mild soap and water now and then and to limit contact with oils or other chemicals when other possible. I put talc on them as I think it does help protect against any oils, etc.

    What we need now is to have some one post and say, I never do anything other than totally ignore them and I get 4-5 years out of my seals.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Geneva Indiana
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Hello Scott long time no see my friend! I had the pleasure of diving with you while training with TJ this past winter. It is quite ironic that your neck seal needed replaced as mine was a week ago as well. Steve shared the same advice with me as well. I am going to purchase some UV protectant ASAP.
    Another tip he gave me was to discontinue using my hang-air dry suit dryer as it gives off ozone that contributed to the degradation of my neck seal. I must have gotten something on it and with in several months it was gone. I managed to get my wreck dives on Huron in but that was it.
    Steve Gamble did a awesome job and shipped it back in a very timely manor.
    Safe diving and I look forward to diving in the future. Good luck.
    JCGoodwin aka. Cam


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aainslie View Post
    My experience is that Gamble knows more about drysuits than I ever will. if he says it, I'd believe it.
    You took the words right out of my mouth, Andrew!



 

Similar Threads

  1. ML Dacor drysuit, new, uncut seals, $450
    By jonnythan in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 11:30 PM
  2. leaking latex neck seals?
    By billmackbarnes in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 12:41 PM
  3. WTB Wrist seals & neck seals
    By Cavediver38 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 09:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts