Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Layfayette Blue

  1. #1

    Default Layfayette Blue

    I'm looking for info on Layfayette Blue but can't find much. Can someone direct me to a website. What's the diving/system like? Anyone been there recently?

    Scott Coupland
    Oviedo (Orlando), FL

  2. #2
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default


    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scoupland View Post
    I'm looking for info on Layfayette Blue but can't find much. Can someone direct me to a website. What's the diving/system like? Anyone been there recently?
    I have made over 150 cave dives in this system. It is an awesome system,but typically the 20' +/- viz will reduce the ability to take it all in. If you enter from the park you will enter 2 resurgence/insurgence before getting into the main system. The line is in generally good shape,but you will encounter some areas that have #18 twisted,so don't pull on it. The flow can be strong depending on health of the aquifer,and viz can reduce very quickly with local rains since there are 23 sink holes.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  4. #4

    Default

    Kelly, what has attracked you to this particular system, life forms, cave geology? I'm curious, because that's a lot of dives in one system, from my perspective. Scott, let me know what you find when you dive it, as I'm curious.
    Hope all's well with you both, and have a great, long weekend!


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    No where... formerly Miami, FL. Athens, GA, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scoupland View Post
    I'm looking for info on Layfayette Blue but can't find much. Can someone direct me to a website. What's the diving/system like? Anyone been there recently?
    Make sure you bring a bunch of spools. It is a fun dive but be prepared to sometimes follow a line with no walls in sight.

    The shoals are there still, the winds howl loud, the rain beats down, the waves burst strong. Some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy. John T. Cunningham

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    I dove it a couple of times. it's BIG but you can't see it all because of the vis. there's a lot of muck on the ceiling. i would guess from all the agricultural runoff. the line is pretty much all we saw (for the most part)
    but I've been told when it's clear-ish it can be stunning. and I believe it


  7. #7
    Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Live Oak, Suwannee County, Florida
    Posts
    3,699

    Default

    Scott,

    We can dive it tomorrow or Sunday...

    Rough Map:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	greensink_bluespringsmap.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2779

    Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba North
    Live Oak, Suwannee County, Florida
    Cave Evaluator/IT TDI

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Let everyone know how the vis is. We have had a lot of rain lately.

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mwenner View Post
    Kelly, what has attracked you to this particular system, life forms, cave geology? I'm curious, because that's a lot of dives in one system, from my perspective. Scott, let me know what you find when you dive it, as I'm curious.
    Hope all's well with you both, and have a great, long weekend!
    I have been surveying the cave to a 3C grade,and adding a lot of passage that Sheck left the original map. What prompted us to resurvey the cave was the section that dotted side walls on the map,which means the sidewalls weren't measured. There are some amazing things in that place that have only revealed themselves with the resurvey. Because conditions had dropped below 10ft for a long duration,we put the project on hold,but I would like to one day retrieve my explorer reel that has been in there for 3 years-no telling what it looks like. But,I also have a lot of dives in that system because it has become one of my favorite,with a lot personality.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  10. #10

    Default

    Tom & Denise Johnson and I went by Layfayette Blue on Saturday the 3rd. From the surface the basin looked clear. We wanted to dive it but Tom injured his knee earlier that day and thought getting in and out of the spring would be too much of a strain on it. So, instead, we did the grand traverse at Peacock (Orange Grove to P1) instead, which was a great dive.

    Scott Coupland
    Oviedo (Orlando), FL


 

Similar Threads

  1. Madison Blue - Blue again
    By Jim Wyatt in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 01:29 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts