Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Intro Class

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Port Orange, FL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanf View Post
    One word of advice as you proceed beyond intro, learn a bit about caves. I wish someone had told me that. It really makes a difference later.
    This is so true! Its a lot more interesting when you know what you're looking at. Not that wet rocks aren't interesting in themselves.. I have been obsessed with caves since I was like 6 years old so I don't know what its like to not know what you're looking at in this case but I can relate to it from other endeavors...

    -Mike


  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alanf View Post
    One word of advice as you proceed beyond intro, learn a bit about caves. I wish someone had told me that. It really makes a difference later.
    Do you have any recomended sources for learning about caves? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Rob,


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaRob View Post
    Do you have any recomended sources for learning about caves? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Rob,
    "Geomorphology and Hydrology of Karst Terrains", 1988 by William B. White, published by Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-504444-4. Still in print.

    Pretty high density reading - everything you want to know and more. Even though my background is in biology, I was able to read and understand it with no problems, which is not the case with everything written by geologists!

    Mike


  4. #24
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Age
    59
    Posts
    412

    Smile ya uh...

    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaRob View Post
    Do you have any recomended sources for learning about caves? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Rob,
    ...public library, NSS website, internet searches, Amazon books, field research aka go caving
    and enjoy , be safe and take care of the caves

    Hostile Member

    Originally Posted by Tegg
    "Every hole is worth a shot."

  5. #25
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    I would recommend doing at least a little 'dry' caving. You can spend far more time in the cave, and learn a lot more while discussing things. You have the luxury of time to stop and examine things, get used to navigating through the cave without a line to follow, etc... .

    White's book is a really good one, but it might be better to start out with Speleology (Moore & Sullivan). It covers a wide range of disciplines, and provides a broader look at the science of caves, without overloading you right out of the gate.

    http://nssbookstore.org/index.php?mo...number=01-0393

    There are plenty of other good publications there in the NSS bookstore about any number of cave related topics if you decide you'd like to get into something in more depth.


  6. #26

    Default

    I found this book on the NACD website: Speleological and Karst Glossary of Florida and the Caribbean

    Has anyone read this? And being an aviation guy will I understand it?



 

Similar Threads

  1. My first class
    By adam0321 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 06:39 AM
  2. intro class- and those darn cave gremlins
    By ggoodman in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 06:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts