I was reading another thread where someone said that, in an out of air situation, you were going to silt the cave out, anyway. I dove with somebody last year who maintained that one of his instructors had told him not to worry about trim during valve drills, because in the event of having to do a valve shutdown, "You were going to silt the cave out, anyway." (It's unclear if anybody actually said this to him, but he had come away with it, anyway.)
My cave instructors, all five of them, would not have been happy with me, had I responded to ANY drill, simple or cascading, by disturbing the viz. Some probably would have strangled me with my own long hose if I hadNow, I know those are drills, and real problems are much more stressful. Since the worst problem I have had so far is a dead light (and I didn't silt the cave out getting out my backup) I don't know what I would do in the event of a real emergency.
So I'm asking . . . for any of you who have had to do a shutdown or share gas with somebody, did you silt out the cave?


Reply With Quote


Bookmarks