Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 51 to 55 of 55

Thread: Buddy vs solo

  1. #51
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Good points. I know excellent solo divers that make crappy buddies and excellent buddy divers that are not comfortable diving solo (although probably are qualified and able).

    I love diving, do it a LOT, and feel perfectly comfortable diving solo. I also enjoy the company of buddies. My attitude is "I am prepared to get you out if you get in trouble, but I'm not going to count on you getting me out." That's not a put-down to my buddies (most are WAY more qualified than me!), but rather my way of self-rescue and prevention....so I don't get into a situation I can't get myself out of.

    That being said, I'll dive with almost anyone. The "almost" means 1) if you want to dive above your training....no. 2) if you bust the gas plan (break thirds or sixths or whatever was the plan)...never again 3) if you're an ass regarding safety (ie the guy who immediately upon surfacing yelled at me "Why the F... did you turn? I was just starting to have fun!") ...never again.

    Heck, I even dive with Vince, even if Mark won't

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  2. #52
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The ideal buddy is one who is as self sufficient as a solo diver (whether or not they ever solo dive) but has excellent buddymanship skills.


    However:

    Very few (if any) "buddy divers" reach the level of personal and equipment self-sufficiency expected of a solo diver. More solo divers reach that goal but not all do.

    Not all solo divers achieve good buddymanship skills (though most can).


    Not all solo divers dive solo because they are capable of doing so safely. Sadly some do it because no "buddy" feels safe diving with them - either because they have poor diving skills, poor buddymanship skills, inadequate equipment, unrealistic estimates of their own skills and abilities, or are too aggressive in their risk taking (or in some cases multiples of these).
    Good points Gary!
    Like anything else you have to have an open mind to improve yourself.

    "Is this thing on?"

  3. #53

    Default

    Agreed


  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lake Geneva, FL
    Age
    54
    Posts
    178

    Default The Onion

    untitled.jpg

    From the World's Finest News Source...


  5. #55

    Default

    I hope I have the skills to get myself out of most situations I can get myself into. But I hope that having a buddy or buddies will help keep me OUT of situations where I have to save myself . . . I've had buddies catch my errors more than once, and I've been part of discussions where two of us outvoted the third on significant questions.

    The biggest piece of redundancy my buddies bring with them is their brains.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Ice Room Solo
    By Rick Palm in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 08:02 AM
  2. Solo or Not-?
    By JE in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 07:48 AM
  3. Solo diving techniques
    By Serota in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 09:29 AM
  4. JB solo stage scooter
    By akcaver in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 12:22 AM
  5. How many of you dive solo?
    By BgDadddy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 11:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts