Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Geneva Indiana
    Posts
    714

    Default Caves in North Central US?

    Hello from the middle of the US. Does any one have an information on wet caves in the central US? I have asked several groups of dry cavers to no avail.
    I am thinking that there are some in southern Ohio but I am not sure about if they allow diving.
    I am growing very weary of OW and getting very tired of night diving just to try to feel like I am in a cave. It is easier to just dream about being in N Florida.
    I need to move sorry for the whining!
    JCG


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    I have dived caves in IN, MO, AR, KY, TN, AL, GA, VA, and WV. There are lots I haven't dived. The main difference between FL, and the rest of the country is there are books with cave locations, and descriptions in FL. The rest of the country requires you to do a little research

    Just quickly off the top of my head, there are UW caves in UT, CO, NM, NV, TX, MS*, PA, and NY. I suspect I have missed some.

    FWIW, most of the caves I have done outside of FL had never been dived before I got to them.

    * well one there anyway.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Were any of them worth diving again or were they mostly mud sumps?

    I know there are some wet caves in OK, but those with the locations are very hush hush.


  4. #4
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    You forget who you're asking. To Forrest, a mud sump is worth diving.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    73

    Default

    LOL


  6. #6
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I have dived caves in IN, MO, AR, KY, TN, AL, GA, VA, and WV. There are lots I haven't dived. The main difference between FL, and the rest of the country is there are books with cave locations, and descriptions in FL. The rest of the country requires you to do a little research

    Just quickly off the top of my head, there are UW caves in UT, CO, NM, NV, TX, MS*, PA, and NY. I suspect I have missed some.

    FWIW, most of the caves I have done outside of FL had never been dived before I got to them.

    * well one there anyway.
    Having a very elastic sense of "diveable" helps

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Fort White FL
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCGoodwin View Post
    Hello from the middle of the US. Does any one have an information on wet caves in the central US? I have asked several groups of dry cavers to no avail.
    I am thinking that there are some in southern Ohio but I am not sure about if they allow diving.
    I am growing very weary of OW and getting very tired of night diving just to try to feel like I am in a cave. It is easier to just dream about being in N Florida.
    I need to move sorry for the whining!
    JCG
    Hi
    There are some glacial sinkholes in Northern Michigan too

    Cheers

    (Cris moving to Florida next month after 7 years of whining)


  8. #8
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    I would hardly call southern Ohio the central US, that would be something like Kansas. If you're looking for specific recommendations, you need to be more specific in where you're at and willing to drive to for a weekend.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire diver View Post
    Were any of them worth diving again or were they mostly mud sumps?

    I know there are some wet caves in OK, but those with the locations are very hush hush.
    While Russell is somewhat right about me, there are many divable caves all over the US worth going back to, and diving. Most people don't want to dive anything that isn't clear, and reasonably warm, especially if it takes work to find it.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    While Russell is somewhat right about me, there are many divable caves all over the US worth going back to, and diving. Most people don't want to dive anything that isn't clear, and reasonably warm, especially if it takes work to find it.
    Well, that may be true. My personal "average" dive has 10-15 foot of vis, with temps down to the 50s (in the summer). I'm happy just to be able to dive, even if it's a farm pond.

    Maybe after I finish full cave, I would put work into finding some of those caves. Right now, it would be a whole lot of work for a VERY short penetration. But we all have our goals.



 

Similar Threads

  1. caves in the pacific north west???
    By adam0321 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
  2. caves in North Carolina
    By adam0321 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
  3. Fossils in North Florida underwater caves
    By saturation in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 07:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts