Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    a rainy island in AK
    Posts
    131

    Default Detailed Ginnie map

    Where does one get the map of Ginnie that shows all of the lines, permanent and otherwise? It seems that only instructors have it? is this on purpose? I have the one that Ginnie sells and I have been marking in the areas that I've dove. Any info on this super secret highly detailed map would be helpful.


  2. #2

    Default

    I got mine from the NACD. Not cheap, but great for planning.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North FL
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the dude View Post
    Where does one get the map of Ginnie that shows all of the lines, permanent and otherwise? It seems that only instructors have it? is this on purpose? I have the one that Ginnie sells and I have been marking in the areas that I've dove. Any info on this super secret highly detailed map would be helpful.
    That's the map Jeff Hancock created. Debra Green has them, email her at [email protected]


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    202

    Default

    The one map that Jeff Hancock did, a while back, shows the first few thousand feet, with line placements. I dont know where you can get a copy of that one though.

    The one Steve Berman did, is higher quality in terms of cartography and detail, doesn't show the lines, but his 2 maps show much more of the cave than the Hancock map.

    If you interested in seeing the first 2000' of the cave, then try to get a copy of the Hancock map.

    EDITED... SEE POST ABOVE!


  5. #5

    Default

    The "super secret" map isn't really a secret. It's produced by Jeff Hancock. Hancock has an interesting reputation. Word on the street is, either he's really rude to you, or he loves you. He doesn't like me at all, which is odd, since I've gone out of my way to return a Z knife and a reel that he lost in the cave.

    His map is the best yet of Ginnie. It's available from a few sources, including Jeff himself, but it's well over $100, and so a lot of divers choose not to buy it.

    Soon, there is supposed to be a map of Ginnie that is made by combining both halves of the Berman map (the one that Ginnie sells), and adding on survey data from the further reaches of the cave (not on the Hancock map). When it's available, it will be a good replacement for the Hancock map, but if you have the money to spend, the Hancock map is a really nice map.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the dude View Post
    Where does one get the map of Ginnie that shows all of the lines, permanent and otherwise? It seems that only instructors have it? is this on purpose? I have the one that Ginnie sells and I have been marking in the areas that I've dove. Any info on this super secret highly detailed map would be helpful.
    You can get it from some divers websites, torrent sites, rapidshare, or Hancock himself, I guess it depends on how honest you feel

    Also don't buy into the hype of "secret" passages in Ginnie. There's not any in the first 2000+ft of the cave, I've heard rumors of them in the 3400+ range where I haven't spent much time. Other than map1, the heinkle is at 3100ft, shortly before that is mainland, before that are the insulation room and sweet surprise around 2400ft (ish), and the river intrusion rooms (not sure if those are on map 1). That's about all you're swimming to in Ginnie.

    Last edited by jj1987; 03-24-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    913

    Default

    I've got one of Hancock's paper beta versions before he started mass producing them. Paid him $25 at Ginnie for a copy ran off at a grapics place. Sweet.

    There are 3 kinds of people in this world; those who are good at math, and those who are not.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    75
    Posts
    679

    Default Re: Detailed Ginnie map

    Jeff put a lot of time and effort into his fantastic map. It is also copyright protected. Please purchace it from an approved vendor.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    246 Bubbleless Cove
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Ditto for the Hancock map. Best one around. Hangs on my office wall for dive planning behind closed doors.

    Meng Tze
    -Homo Bonae Voluntatis

  10. #10
    mfascuba
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogDiver View Post
    Jeff put a lot of time and effort into his fantastic map. It is also copyright protected. Please purchace it from an approved vendor.
    I picked up a copy of Jeff's map from Jeff, in 2005. It's numbered and signed to verify authenticity. I had seen him there for four years at that point (I started diving / cave diving in 2001) and each time I saw him he had a fiberglass tape and a slate when he was entering or exiting the water. He literally put years of his life into that map, it shows back to 4170 ft straight back down the main line and 4200 ft into mainland. As was noted, it is copyright protected. Give Deb Green a call to buy it - the detail is worth the price, and it's nicely laminated (as cave maps should be) so it will be around for a while.

    Mark



 

Similar Threads

  1. Map Search
    By Cindy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 02:47 PM
  2. Any new map data in Ginnie?
    By aainslie in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 09:32 PM
  3. Vortex map?
    By fixxervi6 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 05:04 PM
  4. Map of GS
    By perryL927 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 05:51 PM
  5. Devils Map
    By wingman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 01:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts