Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Knee injury

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Rumor has it you're bringing one to Coz next month.


  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LCF View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where do you find your sherpa, and what does it cost you? I may be DIR, but I ain't macho . . .
    The Villas de Rosa will provide sherpas for any dive you do with them. You just have to tip them, but it was pretty cheap.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    The Villas de Rosa will provide sherpas for any dive you do with them. You just have to tip them, but it was pretty cheap.
    This is correct. It is very reasonable. There is a fee for the day, and then tip them over the fee if they did a really good job for you. I know that I tip my sherpa $50 for the week (6 dive days). The daily fee charged by DeRosa is usually split amongst the divers wanting the services of the sherpa.

    I have had the same sherpa for 10 years running. He gets a Christmas gift too for him, his daughter and his wife, but that's another story.

    ZeroG should be able to acquire one for you. I am sure you would not be the first to ask.

    There are 3 kinds of people in this world; those who are good at math, and those who are not.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Okay...I gotta gush about my sherpa. I touch practically nothing. He takes my rig to the water, helps me in and out of it, and takes it back to the van. He even chastises me if I try to carry it anywhere by myself. I still smile the one time I was trying to get up from a sitting position (on a boulder) with my rig on as I thought I could get it back to the van since it was a rather easy location. My sherpa nicely said he would get it while he was helping someone else get up. I said, "naw, that's okay, I think I can get it."

    He then very forcefully and in a firm voice said, "Miss Lori, SIT!!"

    I sat.

    There are 3 kinds of people in this world; those who are good at math, and those who are not.

  5. #45

    Default

    I always try to get Sherpas , here in the dr there is almost always someone willing to help carry gear and it is usually not that much and well worth it as some cave s are a real hassle.
    If not Thomas carries my tanks and I pay for his fills.
    Also before I had a bad knee so I was not reallly into carrying tanks, when my knee is better I plan on using it as an excuse to keep not carrying tanks.lol..


  6. #46

    Default

    Sitting around 3 days post surgery, making myself go mad watching cave diving videos on YouTube.
    Time goes by very very slowly, Cristian and Dave are finding new cave and i should have been there.
    At least this surgery although very uncomfortable, does not hurt as bad as i was expecting for now at least.


  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    That is what a sherpa is for! I have hired a sherpa every trip due to ortho issues. But then again, I am not DIR nor dive with a macho crowd so it is not frowned upon.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCF View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where do you find your sherpa, and what does it cost you? I may be DIR, but I ain't macho . . .
    Hey, I'm DIR and I would have a sherpa in a heartbeat. In fact, one of the reasons I took my tech training where I did was because I thought it was extremely nice to have gear sherpas. I didn't know MX had them, but I may very well use them in the future for some of the dives.

    And, if you've ever read anything about WKPP dives, you'll know they use sherpas. They have some special name for them like "support divers" or "volunteers." But rest assured, they're sherpas

    Quote Originally Posted by phillip1 View Post
    Sitting around 3 days post surgery, making myself go mad watching cave diving videos on YouTube.
    Time goes by very very slowly, Cristian and Dave are finding new cave and i should have been there.
    At least this surgery although very uncomfortable, does not hurt as bad as i was expecting for now at least.
    Just wait for the PT. That's when the fun begins... laying on your stomach while some psycho masocist bends your knee while you scream into a pillow. It's a joy ...But well worth it in the end.


  8. #48

    Default

    Thanks that sounds really encouraging, lol...


  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl
    Posts
    275

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by cmalinowski View Post
    Hey, I'm DIR and I would have a sherpa in a heartbeat. In fact, one of the reasons I took my tech training where I did was because I thought it was extremely nice to have gear sherpas. I didn't know MX had them, but I may very well use them in the future for some of the dives.

    And, if you've ever read anything about WKPP dives, you'll know they use sherpas. They have some special name for them like "support divers" or "volunteers." But rest assured, they're sherpas

    Just wait for the PT. That's when the fun begins... laying on your stomach while some psycho masocist bends your knee while you scream into a pillow. It's a joy ...But well worth it in the end.
    I thought they were called "lemmings"



 

Similar Threads

  1. What's your frog kick injury?
    By cmufieldhockey8 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 01:59 AM
  2. Knee pads for dry suit
    By John L. in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 05:54 PM
  3. The Silent Injury
    By JE in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 03:51 PM
  4. Frog kicks and knee pain
    By Jay M in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 01:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts