Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 603

Thread: Cocodrillo push

  1. #531
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jlillest View Post
    Can anybody give me a general idea of what I need to bring? Assume that I know I'm bringing my standard dive gear minus tanks and weights, how does everyone handle dive weight? Please touch on any non-obvious items that you can think of.

    -Jon
    There's not much to add. The island is short on weight, so if you have any ability to bring any, then it would be good to bring some. Though I imagine you sink like a rock. (FW was *very* impressed that you could fit through my truck boot, as he couldn't, and he's not that big a guy).

    I think I slapped a 4 lb on the bottom of each AL tank. I think I needed more weight (the usual weight) on my harness.

    The only thing I can think of is that this time I'll try and remember a snorkel for possible ocean fun dives.

    What are your dates. Sandy, Mike and I are diving on the mainland for a day or two in addition to the expedition. Unfortunately, it'll be kinda expensive.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  2. #532
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    fort smith AR.
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Bring yoke regulators not DIN. The water is 70-80 deg so you will need a 3-5 mill wetsuit, I use a hood also. On really long dives I have to go dry.

    blessed are the cracked for they let in the light!

  3. #533
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    I have several DIN/Yolk adaptors, if someone needs any.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  4. #534
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Moultrie, Georgia
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jlillest View Post
    Can anybody give me a general idea of what I need to bring? Assume that I know I'm bringing my standard dive gear minus tanks and weights, how does everyone handle dive weight? Please touch on any non-obvious items that you can think of.

    -Jon
    Hi Jon, A few things that may help you.

    1. Last June, most of us brought extra weight and then left the weight with Jose who provided us a lot of help during the trip. Seems like I took a 4 or 5 weights in my carryon that added up to 14 pounds or so. I had them on a weight belt in the event TSA questioned it which they did not.

    2. Ditto on the hood - In Sin Nombre, it served as protection from the ceiling in low areas which seem to reach out and grab me a few times.

    3. Bring 3 or more clothes pins with your name on them. We placed these on each jump that we took in the event someone needed to find us. I will have some extras that you can have.

    4. I took a towel to dry off after dives rather than using a house towel.

    5. This trip, I will take extra line arrows as they seemed to evaporate last year.

    6. We made 2 boat dives in June. I took a rec reg setup which also doubled as a backup for the caves. We also made some beach dives. For those, we just sidemounted with remaining air from our cave dives using either one or two tanks. Depth on the beach dives ranged from 5 to less than 30 feet.

    Also in June, we did a practice dive in Aerolito to make sure buoyancy was OK and that we had no other issues. That was a big help for me.

    As SG said, she, Mike (Arctic Mike), and I are diving two extra days. We plan to arrive in Cancun Th the 10th and stay at Villa deRosa. On Friday the 11th, we have two non-guided dives planned (using a Villa deRosa driver) before catching the ferry to Coz. Then on Friday the 18th, we ride the ferry back to the mainland and have two more non-guided dives planned (using a Villa deRosa driver). That night, we will drive to Cancun for the evening. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you more information.

    Safe diving,

    Sandy Robinson

  5. #535
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Thanks guys, I never imagined that I'd need a yoke converter for a trip to Mexico. Forrest has me hooked up with a set of them.

    I arrive in Cancun on Friday (2/11) at noon. I'd love to meet up and hang out before the trip across to Cozymel, but I'm not set on diving that day. If nothing else, I'll just tag along and provide surface support while you guys dive.

    I'm flying out mid-day on Sat (2/19) from Cozymel, so I don't think I'll be leaving the island before my flight. I'll just play that Fri/Sat by ear before my flight.

    Depending on how much I can fit in suitcases, I may just plan to dive wet and leave the drysuit at home. I'll plan to bring a handful of cookies, arrows and clothespins that I can use or lend.

    -Jon


  6. #536
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Leisure pro has a sale--line arrows for 50 cents. Do we need some? I have a few extra to bring to the project. But if we need a lot, this could be an opportunity.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  7. #537
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    fort smith AR.
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Sandy will be buying line arrows for the group.

    blessed are the cracked for they let in the light!

  8. #538
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Yay!

    The NACD approved a grant for our project for Feb 2011! Thanks to Sandy for his efforts in putting together the proposal. We very much appreciate the grant and will produce our results and hopefully have some nice pics as well.


    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  9. #539
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deepairmike View Post
    Sandy will be buying line arrows for the group.
    I also have a bunch of arrows donated by Living on the Edge Adventures in Gastonia, NC.


  10. #540
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Mike View Post
    I also have a bunch of arrows donated by Living on the Edge Adventures in Gastonia, NC.
    I'm told that's a pretty fine outfit. Super cool that they're donating arros!

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Big push to finish the Cathedral Steps...
    By Line Squirrel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 07:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts