
Originally Posted by
BillBowden
I find the "1 in 10" a little hard to believe- but my unit is probably nicknamed "yellow box of death" for a reason.
I think rebreather fatalities are probably in line with cave diving fatalities in the 60's and 70's. Once training requirements, standards, and mandatory equipment rules were enforced, fatalities per # of cave dives dropped. They still happen, but not like the bad old days. (My buddy and I taught ourselves to cavedive in the mid-70's. It was hard to even find an instructor then)
Today, rebreather training standards are all over the place. There are good rebreathers you can buy in kit form- until very recently there were no instructors for those units.
Rebreathers are not intuitive. Unlike open circuit, you can be breathing just fine- and not know you are breathing too much/to little O2, or too much CO2.
Rebreathers don't kill divers. Lack of training and complacency kill rebreather divers.
Bookmarks