Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Garages...

  1. #1
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default Garages...

    We've talked about the best ways to transport our gear... but how do you guys have your garage space setup for your scuba gear?

    Personally I will have a nice brand new garage soon to setup the way I want... obviously I am starting with a base of good primer and an epoxy coating... then I plan on putting down a rubber mat where I plan on resting tanks (the kind that have the holes to allow for drying).

    I also plan ion building a work bench for working on gear...

    I wanna see some pics of how people organize and deal with their gear in their garage... I know some people out there have to have some sweet setups... 8)

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    540

    Default Garage

    Garage? I keep my stuff in my bedroom! I walk by it everyday. It reminds me to charge my batteries on a regular basis, and take better care of my stuff, so spiders don't poop on my gear. My wife don't like it, but that's the brakes.

    "If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space"

    www.floridacavediver.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    328

    Default

    My girlfriend and I keep all of our stuff in our basement. We've got a dehumidifier down there already, so it works well.

    We built a custom drying rack out of 1 1/2" pipe. It's about 7' tall, and 5' wide. We built two legs out of pipe for it, and there are 4 "arms" on it (out of PVC) that we can move back and forth. We can hook our drysuits on the top to let them hang, and we each have two "arms" to hang the rest of our gear on. It works really well Luckily we know someone that got us to pipe for free, otherwise it would have cost a ton in fittings

    The floor has got a drain in it and is painted...so the water runs out well. My tanks I usually don't have to worry about storing. They are either in the back of my truck on the way to a dive, or are at the dive shop getting filled. I rarely, rarely have them at home. Luckily I DM for the shop, so they don't mind having them there for a week or two.

    If I need to store them for a while (usually in winter, when only ice diving is to be had), the tanks have a corner in my garage that they can sit in.

    Everyone spends the first nine months of life in water. The lucky ones make frequent return visits.

  4. #4

    Default

    garage? try living on the second floor of an apartment complex and having to carry your gear up and down the stairs everytime you go diving I have all my gear in the corner of my living room haha

    No Comment

  5. #5
    Social Co-Director
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Twilight Zone
    Age
    59
    Posts
    412

    Default My private cave

    Ya Joe I built a small room inside my garage and left plenty of space for one car. Just frame it low enough so the garage door can slide over. I framed and used plywood for walls , painted it all black inside, floor included. Ran electric for one light and a few receptacles to charge batteries, plug in a radio etc.... Its completely off limits to my daughters but my wife gets a pass sometimes. Cave pictures/posters/maps on the walls and a calendar to plan the next anti. Even a pic of the Tegg at Buford... on the dartboard of course. Now that you are an Orlandian you should visit your Kissimmeemite bro and check it out.

    Hostile Member

    Originally Posted by Tegg
    "Every hole is worth a shot."

  6. #6

    Default

    well, i have about 12 tanks, so i built a rack out of 1x1 tubing and really big PVC pipe that holds 9 tanks.

    I'll post pics later...


  7. #7

    Default Re: Garage

    Quote Originally Posted by John L.
    Garage? I keep my stuff in my bedroom! I walk by it everyday. It reminds me to charge my batteries on a regular basis, and take better care of my stuff, so spiders don't poop on my gear. My wife don't like it, but that's the brakes.
    Hey guy! I live in Florida too. Forget spider poop. I've had cockroaches in my drysuit and second stages. The only dive gear I store in the garage are the tanks - bungeed to a steel cable screwed into the concrete wall. The rest is hanging in a coat closet or in Rubbermaid containers on floor of same closet.

    Nothing like doing the 'cockroach dance after putting your foot into the drysuit boot'. Ewwwww.......

    Hey! You still up for dive sometime?


  8. #8

    Default Re: My private cave

    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Ya Joe I built a small room inside my garage and left plenty of space for one car. Just frame it low enough so the garage door can slide over. I framed and used plywood for walls , painted it all black inside, floor included. Ran electric for one light and a few receptacles to charge batteries, plug in a radio etc.... Its completely off limits to my daughters but my wife gets a pass sometimes. Cave pictures/posters/maps on the walls and a calendar to plan the next anti. Even a pic of the Tegg at Buford... on the dartboard of course. Now that you are an Orlandian you should visit your Kissimmeemite bro and check it out.
    Sounds more like a 'man hut'. Snicker, snicker.....

    Sorry. I got one of those at home too. Poor guy. One wife and three daughters -- all teenagers. He needs a place to hide too.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    College Station Texas
    Posts
    178

    Default Try this...

    Living in a two bedroom apartment with the only place to store tanks in the livingroom.

    7 cyliders and a set of doubles is not quite the decoration that my gf was hoping for our new place.

    Human Evolution makes me wonder: from HomoErectus to HomeSapiens, from Dry Caves to Wet Caves. Nevertheless, from HomoErectus to HomeSapiens, from Org. Caves still to Org. Caves! DAMN ...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    328

    Default

    I had to deal w/ gear in an apartment too...thank god I moved out before I got into more serious diving. I was still rec only when in an apartment so things were easy My roomate was the best - I scared the hell out of her one night with my wetsuit - she thought it was a person in the kitchen when she got up to get some water.

    The spiders/roaches in the gear is funny...I was out ice diving once, and was tending the line for a buddy. He went down, and all of a sudden a couple seconds later he comes sputtering and flailing. I'm like "what?! what?!" getting ready to pull him out. He yells "there was a god**** spider in my reg!!! AGGGHH!". He's spitting out legs and hacking up...man, i'm glad it wasn't me, but it was funny to watch.

    I've never let a reg sit near the floor again.

    Everyone spends the first nine months of life in water. The lucky ones make frequent return visits.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts