Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 89
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Saint Augustine, Florida
    Age
    69
    Posts
    459

    Default Who said Florida is warm in the Winter

    Although I’m from Maryland, I guess my blood has been thinned out enough where winter in north Florida now poses a challenge for me. It is 18 degrees here in High Springs, and that is at 7:30, after the sun has risen a bit. How is one supposed to get into water under these adverse and treacherous conditions? To make matters worse, I dive wet. Who said Florida is warm in the winter? I want my money back.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanme View Post
    Although I’m from Maryland, I guess my blood has been thinned out enough where winter in north Florida now poses a challenge for me. It is 18 degrees here in High Springs, and that is at 7:30, after the sun has risen a bit. How is one supposed to get into water under these adverse and treacherous conditions? To make matters worse, I dive wet. Who said Florida is warm in the winter? I want my money back.
    you and me both! I heard wind chill of 17 last night, I'm in High Springs, I'm from NJ, and I'm diving wet. If you get a refund, tell me to whom you spoke. Me too!!!

    ----
    Cave Mann

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newberry, FL
    Posts
    231

    Default

    I think Ginnie has hot showers, you might have to run in and run out, but once you get in the water everything will be fine, it's getting out that stinks, wet or dry. I have put my wet suit on in the hot shower, gave me a few minutes of warmth while I made my way to the water. I couldn't turn on any of my water hoses this morning they were all frozen shut. It is supposed to be like this for a few more days, good luck.

    Dive Safe &
    God Bless.

    -Harry

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,183

    Default

    Ginnie does have ** hot shower and it does make a big difference. However, it is $25 every day at Ginnie and no hot showers at Peacock, Manatee, etc. The other showe at Ginnie doesn't qualify - you shoulda seen the gaggle of divers fighting over the hot one!

    ----
    Cave Mann

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Odessa, FL
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Yeah, this has really messed up my plans. I'm off work this week and hoped to get some diving in, but the forecast is calling for the cold to continue all week. I'm a wetsuit diver as well, and the thought of getting out of the water in these temps makes me think its time for a drysuit


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Spring Lake, MI
    Age
    67
    Posts
    403

    Default Warm Water Diver

    I'm smiling as I read this thread.

    In Michigan, when I dive wet, I often carry a cooler to my winter (or late fall) dives. I put a couple of milk jugs of HOT water in the cooler and then poor them down inside my suit before I enter the water... and I keep one to warm up with after I get out. The water cools enough during the trip to the dive site.

    People often look at me like I'm crazy until they realize what I have in the cooler... then I'm their best friend!

    Even when I dive dry I often carry a thermos of hot water (my old dented up stainless steel Stanley) which is nice on the hands and face after a dive in freezing water.

    Having pontificated... I'm heading to Mexico in a few days! Cheers to warm sunshine!

    As a pastor I am amazed that some of my best communions with God are when I am in the underworld!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    37

    Default

    The state park at Lafayette Blue Springs Park has hot showers and is as inexpensive as Manatee or Peacock.

    http://www.floridastateparks.org/laf...gs/default.cfm

    Nice, dark dive - give it a try.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDHussey View Post
    Nice, dark dive - give it a try.
    I bet it is really dark right now

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Forgot how close to the river it is. Oops - FW is right, really dark right now.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tifton,Georgia
    Age
    38
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Maybe showers at mannatee and peacock aren't such a bad idea??? Now would that be the north florida springs alliance or the state park??


    I dive wet also!!

    Joseph

    There is no limit. We'll always find a way to go deeper and deeper. That's been the pattern all along.

    --Sheck Exley


 

Similar Threads

  1. Freezing woman needs warm undies
    By cavedivingwoman in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 04:58 AM
  2. Warm Springs in Florida
    By in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 09:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts