Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Telford

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    75
    Posts
    679

    Default Telford

    With all the energy being spent on keeping Olsen closed....perhaps we could refocus on gaining access to Telford... Ken


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Did the state ever buy it, or is it still for sale?

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South Daytona Fl.
    Age
    66
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogDiver View Post
    With all the energy being spent on keeping Olsen closed....perhaps we could refocus on gaining access to Telford... Ken
    Now that would be energy well spent.

    Red Sullivan
    (Dive within your training.)

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default yes on telford

    Is anyone (ie, nss/cds) looking into it? Does anyone know?

    -skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Is anyone (ie, nss/cds) looking into it? Does anyone know?

    -skip
    The price was too high for the NACD, or the NSS-CDS, but that could have changed in these bad economic times.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Let me check my lotto tickets.....

    "Is this thing on?"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    The site is currently owned by someone who leases the land to a hunting club. Please don't post his name or phone number here, the owner is pretty cave diving friendly with the current access status. What I mean, is that he didn't seem to have an issue with cave divers scootering, swimming, or boating there and going up the run; which really isn't a navigable waterway most of the time. Bombarding him with phone calls might change that.

    It's relatively easy to just scooter up the river to Telford compared to having tons of meetings with a land owner, I'm guessing most of us would just give up. I think if you want to get this site open, go to someone with experience doing so like Kelly Jessup or Ben Gilespee for help. I bet these guys have all the insurance, liability, etc questions that landowners will want to know ahead of time from previous experience. This way you don't have to have multiple meetings because they can come with their ducks in a row and not seem "unsure" of these questions, which might make the land owner nervous.

    I just say this because I hear so many cave divers repeat the sportsman act over and over again like it's the end all in court. It might hold up well, or it might not, but still the cost of taking off work, hiring an attorney to defend your, and the overall risk is hard to justify...especially when the landowner is getting *NOTHING* from it! I don't think a lot of people really understand what it truly takes to get a site opened, I certainly didn't, and after trying once (unsuccessful, because I didn't have all the answers the landowner wanted), it caused me to have a LOT of respect for those who get sites opened, regardless of the access rules that we might not like. Grabbing a DPV and going to Telford is going to take a lot less effort than opening it.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    The site is currently owned by someone who leases the land to a hunting club. Please don't post his name or phone number here, the owner is pretty cave diving friendly with the current access status. What I mean, is that he didn't seem to have an issue with cave divers scootering, swimming, or boating there and going up the run; which really isn't a navigable waterway most of the time. Bombarding him with phone calls might change that.

    It's relatively easy to just scooter up the river to Telford compared to having tons of meetings with a land owner, I'm guessing most of us would just give up. I think if you want to get this site open, go to someone with experience doing so like Kelly Jessup or Ben Gilespee for help. I bet these guys have all the insurance, liability, etc questions that landowners will want to know ahead of time from previous experience. This way you don't have to have multiple meetings because they can come with their ducks in a row and not seem "unsure" of these questions, which might make the land owner nervous.

    I just say this because I hear so many cave divers repeat the sportsman act over and over again like it's the end all in court. It might hold up well, or it might not, but still the cost of taking off work, hiring an attorney to defend your, and the overall risk is hard to justify...especially when the landowner is getting *NOTHING* from it! I don't think a lot of people really understand what it truly takes to get a site opened, I certainly didn't, and after trying once (unsuccessful, because I didn't have all the answers the landowner wanted), it caused me to have a LOT of respect for those who get sites opened, regardless of the access rules that we might not like. Grabbing a DPV and going to Telford is going to take a lot less effort than opening it.
    Good advice!

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    If someone does approach the land owner, how about setting up an entry fee? $10 per diver per day. I'm sure Bill and Cathy would have no problem being the sign in and collection POCs. It could be called a donation to remove liability from the landowner.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    text removed

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Telford
    By stairman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 09:33 PM
  2. Telford? Telford?
    By Angie Reim in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 08:53 AM
  3. Telford?
    By Signal 20 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 11:20 AM
  4. Telford
    By Line Squirrel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 05:32 PM
  5. TELFORD
    By DogDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 04:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts