Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is this true??

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tifton,Georgia
    Age
    38
    Posts
    263

    Default Is this true??

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZKuA_QZnBg

    He says that the cenotes were made by a meteor???

    Joseph

    There is no limit. We'll always find a way to go deeper and deeper. That's been the pattern all along.

    --Sheck Exley

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gainesville, Fl
    Posts
    96

    Default

    The location and size of the Chixulub impact are accurate, and the fact that the cenotes mark the edge of it is convincing. I'm hesitant to believe any more than that without an explanation of how the impact crater caused (directly or indirectly) the cenotes and caves to form.

    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease with 100% mortality rate." -Richard Pyle

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J_glenn06 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZKuA_QZnBg

    He says that the cenotes were made by a meteor???
    It's interesting that all of the cenotes I've seen or been in seem to run towards the sea like individual fingers, or seemed more linear from the interior towards the coast. If you look at the cenotes in Steve's book, for example, you see what appear to be many individual systems running perpendicuar towards the coast. Maybe if we took a much more distant (farther out in space) picture of them, as the film did, we would see the same pattern?

    I've never seen the ring of cenotes that they showed, but I'm just a cave diver.

    One thing is for sure and that is the cenotes were dry before they were wet, hence the formations in them. I'm appreciative of whatever caused them.

    Bill Ripley

    Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

  4. #4
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    I don't know, but wasn't that Rembrandt's great-great-great-great-great-granddaughter?

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  5. #5

    Default

    That's the ring of cenotes around Merida. They're different from the ones along the coast south of Cancun -- they tend to be deeper, and are in the ring formation. I have read elsewhere that they are thought to be associated with the meteor impact. I do not believe that's felt to be true of the more common dived caves, though.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LCF View Post
    That's the ring of cenotes around Merida. They're different from the ones along the coast south of Cancun -- they tend to be deeper, and are in the ring formation. I have read elsewhere that they are thought to be associated with the meteor impact. I do not believe that's felt to be true of the more common dived caves, though.
    I understand the same thing, separate systems.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    246 Bubbleless Cove
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    I don't know, but wasn't that Rembrandt's great-great-great-great-great-granddaughter?
    Maybe, maybe not, many people are called van Rijn in the Netherlands.

    Meng Tze
    -Homo Bonae Voluntatis

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    521

    Default

    The Ring Cenotes in the vicinity of Merida are associated with Chixalub. Basically, what happened is the Chixalub impact fractured all of the rocks deep in the earth. Later, the limestone that caves in Merida are formed in was deposited. Fractures formed in this limestone when faults caused by the impact were reactivated. This created low resistance drains for water to flow and assisted with the cave development. Incidentally, there are also rings of sinkholes associated with a meteor impact in Kentucky. As other have already mentioned, the caves in Quintana Roo are a bit different.

    Jason Gulley

  9. #9
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Kinda like Smith over here. But you gotta like a good Rembrandt joke.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gainesville
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    I visited with the Richards in Mexico they were testing rock to prove their theory that the rock in that area is more dense and that resulted in the Higher Water table and cave formations. I don't know if the density is caused by a meteor or not. I didn't get that far into the conversation with them. I know they regularly give articles to the Mexican version of a Science Magazine. Also the DelRosa family contributes to that Magazine. Bill Oigarden would have the contact info on Donna.

    Cave Divers are amazing people, we go into caves to challenge ourselves, enjoy nature and have fun. We find our curious natures lead us into photography, exploration, science and so many things.
    I never knew how to survey, water test, collect silt and rock samples, editing magazines, how our springs work or anything about cave adapted animals and protecting resources until my fellow cave divers showed me these things. If you learn anything, please share.

    "Philosophy is a purely personal matter. A genuine philosopher's credo is the outcome of a single complex personality; it cannot be transferred. No two persons, if sincere, can have the same philosophy."
    --Havelock Ellis


 

Similar Threads

  1. True story behind vortex?
    By J_glenn06 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 02:41 PM
  2. Another eBay too good to be true?
    By DogDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 07:59 PM
  3. " TRUE BLUE" part III on OverheadTimes.com
    By Herbie in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 02:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts