Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11

    Default

    Although getting your car broken into really sucks, it happens all over the world no matter were you are. I don't think Mexico is any worse than New York, Paris or Miami.

    I got 2 HID lights stolen by the cops at the entrance to a cave here last year, when for only 5mins I was not paying attention, never got the lights back even with bribes and rewards.
    It is really bad luck and I hope you get your regs back.


  2. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavedivingwoman View Post
    Barbara, I'm glad you got your cards back.
    I got the cancelled, not back.

    But the thief's charges were cancelled which is better (for me) than having items of value (regs) taken.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    I'm so sorry!

    I had my car broken into, too, this weekend--presumably with a slim jim. My credit cards and drivers license were taken from my wallet.

    At least I didn't seem to have anything else taken, and I got my credit cards canceled right away.
    I suppose what ever happens, it could always be worse.

    My car was broken into about a year ago - someone knocked out the drivers side window. The irony here is that there was nothing in the car worth taking and nothing was missing, but it still cost me a $250 deductible to get the window and door repaired. The biggest loss though is what something like that does to your attitude and point of view about where you live.

    Then there was my former neighbor who would get all huffy when I loaded my car with dive equipment at 6am to leave for N FL rather than loading it all the night before. Like I was ever really ever going to consider that.


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DA Aquamaster View Post
    I suppose what ever happens, it could always be worse...
    True, someone cut the convertible top on my ex's sports car, to get 36 cents in change. It cost almost $1000 to replace the top (not covered by insurance).

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Smash & Grabs are very common here in the parking garages downtown as well as at the malls. Does not matter where you live, leave nothing of value in your car in view, and really.....nothing of value period.

    Read an article recently that the smashers were even looking for circular spots on windshields which would indicate a suction cup had been there since the last time you washed your window from the inside. Leave your charger cables plugged in? A definite indication there is something of value in your car tucked out of sight. (that's why my Garmin sits on a specialty sandbag meant for that purpose)

    The smashers are even going to malls in affluent neighborhoods because there is better stuff to be had.

    Tulum? No different than Cincinnati.

    There are 3 kinds of people in this world; those who are good at math, and those who are not.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Age
    35
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Last year a friend of mine had his backpack with a semester worth of chemistry notes in it ( we go to a college prep high school) stolen out of his car while he was at work....a week before the final.

    Ian Seibert

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Saint Augustine, Florida
    Age
    69
    Posts
    459

    Default that really hurts

    Kind of amazing, but I’ve never had any dive gear stolen. I’ve been ocean diving since 1998 and been on many boat trips where 30 plus divers could have easily taken gear.

    Anyone have anything taken from a dive site in Mexico? That is what worries me. I leave the key hidden, but always wonder if anyone is watching. I’d really hate to return from my dive to find my car gone 5 kilos into the jungle.

    I have found Mexico to be very friendly and non violent relative to other places. The locals may steel something, but never attack anyone. I guess it is a religious or cultural thing. With 90% of the wealth concentrated in 5% of the people, I would feel a little angry living in a hut on the side of route 301. There are many forms of theft, both legal and non-legal. We all live on the same planet. The difference between “us” and “them” is we have bigger guns. Don’t get me wrong, I’d fight to protect my personal belongings, but I also don’t condom someone for trying to eat. The real villain is the ruling party in Mexico.

    On one trip to Tulum, I’ll never forget the many signs of someone running for some kind of government election. The interesting part about the signs is it was the same person. No choice in who you voted for.

    Anyway… I feel for you having dive gear taken while on vacation. That really hurts.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Scooter Stolen
    By HappyHacker in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 01:38 AM
  3. Gainesville Florida Divers please read
    By Cindy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
  4. ....Stolen spool....
    By Rich in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 09:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts